586,119 active members*
3,460 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 8 of 17 678910
    No questions this time just pictures. Here is my new Dynatorch. I will drag it outside in the spring and paint it. It would just make too much of a mess now. Still do not have the exaust fan hooked up, but maybe by the end of the week.

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-002F.jpg   MVC-001F.jpg   MVC-003F.jpg   MVC-004F.jpg  

MVC-005F.jpg  

Greetings

Howdy, all. I'm glad I found this place!
    My name is Reuben, and this is my first post.

I bought my Dynatorch setup over a year ago.
    But I only got it mostly operational a couple of weeks ago!

The shop is brand new and some of the electrical stuff had to be changed/corrected. And in addition, my wife and I are trying to get our house built (only we've run into huge snags . . . even have a lawyer now).

Anyway, add that stuff to the fact that my shop is a 3 hour drive from my current house . . . it's been tough to get the ball rolling.

Here's a pic of my old Plasmacam that I sold, with everything squeezed into a small garage

Got my GC started on my new shop

Drove out to Paducah to pick up my new machine

The table sat on the trailer in my shop for over a month.

A few months later, I was able to convince a buddy with an HVLP gun to come help me

And then started getting everything organized and set up

And then finally, just a couple of weeks ago, I called in some favors and had a couple of friends help me straighten out the electrical work and grounding.

I haven't even cut yet, but . . . I got the machine running through one of Walt's warmups.
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W6KKZ2RMAN8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W6KKZ2RMAN8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I still have to connect the airlines from compressor through filters and air-dryer to the plasma cutter, finish exhaust ductwork, bolt compressor and fan to the floor, and place the slats. If I have all of the parts on hand, I should be able to finish the rest of that stuff on my next trip.

I can hardly wait.

Greetings

I tried posting a message here an hour or so ago.
    Don't know what happened to it. Perhaps I'm under suspicion? I swear I'm not a spambot.

Edit: There it is!!

Glad I found this thread. It'll be nice to have somewhere else to reach out (besides calling Leon . . . he's gotta be tired of me by now!) when I run into trouble.

Feelin your pain

Raw,

Great shop pics. Got my electrical signed off on yesterday and will start setting my machine in a few days. I know it drives me nuts waiting, but man don't let excitement get in the way of doin the setup right the first time. Make sure that investment is put together right before you strike an arc.

Where are you located? My machine is still in the crate and the table is wrapped in the Reynolds wrap Bruce and the guys wrapped it up in. I am going to shoot a coat of paint on before I put it together. I like the red, but that Miller blue keeps calling my name!!

I am going to use the table to build my smoke and dust collector. I figured I would by all the software and use the table to build my smoke and dust collector. I like that computer table. What kind is it?

Did you go with Hypertherm or Thermal Dynamics ?

Keep us posted!!!
    MetalHead - http://www.mechmate.com

RAW,

How much was that fan unit and what are the specs???

Thx

:withstupi

I gues if I look at the PICs I would see what cutter you went with. I was looking at the shop pics seeing what I need to do in mine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ray View Post

Make sure that investment is put together right before you strike an arc.
    Absolutely! That's been part of the delay--making sure everything is just right.

Where are you located?
    I'm currently in Georgia, but my shop (and new house) is in the Western North Carolina mountains, right on the TN state line.

How much was that fan unit and what are the specs???
    That is the fan that was recommended by Leon. It's a Dayton unit that I ordered from Grainger. Here's the product info
    I just got the magnetic contactor wired in for the fan. Can't wait to see it kick on from a command from the computer.

The computer cabinet is also from Grainger.

For you guys that have gone with thinner slats set in an arc, are you happy with that setup? And what thickness slat did you end up using?

Hey Guys SORRY FOR THE DELAY.
    A little bit of play in the slide assembly is normal. It is also required for the thing to work properly. If your tip is dragging on the material it is likely to be because the set piont is not turned up high enough. The THC is very sensitive as well and those sensitivity settings can be changed by the user. If there is ever any doubt call Leon or one of us here at the main office for help. We may be able to save you lots of time.

Woo Hooo..... I finally got my table running today.....,but I have a slight problem. I called Leon late this evening and left a message. The problem is when I have THC turned on it starts fine and looks to be about 3/16" off material and then it pops up to about 5/16". Voltage is set at 132. Without the THC on it holds height just fine. I know it has to be something simple. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sam

Oh yea! One more thing. My parts are cutting 1/16" small on o.d and 1/16" big on i.d. I believe I recall seeing something where you enter kirf width and I think it has .031 in it now. If I change it to .062 will that take care of that or is that for something else. Thanks!

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by judge1m View Post
    Oh yea! One more thing. My parts are cutting 1/16" small on o.d and 1/16" big on i.d. I believe I recall seeing something where you enter kirf width and I think it has .031 in it now. If I change it to .062 will that take care of that or is that for something else. Thanks!

Sam
    Are you using Sheetcam?
    I'm curious to start cutting using the Sheetcam-generated codes (including kerf offset).

I have sheetcam but have not put my head in that yet. Right now I have been using autocad and importing directly into Dynatorch program.

I asked this in an earlier post, but it may have been overlooked.

For those of you who have gone with thinner slats, what gauge did you end up using? And how far did you arc the slats?

Slats and Shop

Still trying to get mine painted and my electrical configured! I was wondering about the slats and I was thinking about 16 gauge??? I have seen a table where someone had taken a 2x3 angle and cut in the slots then mounted it in the middle of the table for supports.

Thoughts anyone???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc01850.jpg  

Off CNC Zone Groups

I made these groups out there.

May or maynot help get more folks in the circle.

[email protected] and dynatorch@***********.com

Off CNC Zone Groups

I made these groups out there.

May or maynot help get more folks in the circle.

[email protected] and dynatorch@yah groups . com

Dynatorch learning curve

It has been a while since I last posted. After spending the last few weeks learning the machine and software I can say the Dynatorch is a great machine. I have spent a great deal of time trying to dial in the cutting speeds, arc volts etc. Yesterday I cut 15 parts with 60 amp shielded nozzle, making slight modifications to the speed and arc volts with each part and checking the quality on each part. The part was basicly a 3" by 3" by 1/4" with a 3/4" hole in the center. I use the joystick to start the cycle so I can watch the cut up close and to see what each 2 or 3 sp volt change does for the cutting height. I did get to a certain point where I could not improve the quality any more. It was producing nice cuts although it still had some bevel. I thought I would try the fine cut nozzels and see it they would work on 1/4".
    I set the amps at 50 and started expeirmenting. To my surprise the cuts were much much better. The bevel I had before with the 60 amp shielded nozzels was gone. After another 15 parts cut with the fine cut nozzels and tweaking the adjustments, the end result was a near perfect quality cut. If anyone is interested I can post the settings when I go to work on Monday, also a picture if you like. I would also like to thank Leon again for the time he spent helping me get up to speed. The tech support for Dynatorch is first class.

Talking

Well I,m up & running now with my cutting table.

I'ts not one of the complete systems though, what I have is a retrofit done to my old table.

Been having lots of fun cutting out die plates for clay extruders out of 12 gage, openings are very smooth.

I got the machine making it's own supports to. What I'm doing is making interlocking slats to from square grids 20'" X 20". About half way done with these, they lay inside a 6" deep water pan.

A water pan is also the way to cut, just got in from cutting a 12-1/2" circle out of 1". You get the same amount of smoke as when you cut gage metal. Even galvanzied cuts with barely any smoke. I got the water just touching the bottom of the sheet.

Oh ya, for all you folks with Powermax 1000's , it's a 3/4 max machine right......., nope! The 1" plate cut great, worst spot had 3 degrees bevel. Slowed it done to 8 IPM , 1-1/2 second pierce delay, and didn't bother with the Hieght Control. Definatly not for production but will work in a pinch.

Hope to have some pictures up later of the table.

Tyler

Runnin Behind you guys

Glad to see all is cuttin well!!! I would like those settings. My table is coming along. I took the low tech paint approach. I have an HVLP sprayer, but thought this would be better for this small job. Took about 4 hours. 2 to primer and 2 to paint. Rustoleum primer and Rustoleum Safety red.

I have a power question. I'm still shaking on the costs of all the electrical. are you guys feeding off a 200 or 400 amp service. I am going to drop a sub panel close to my machine and run all my power out of that box for Air, Dryer, Blowern and Plasma. I want to put the PC and Gantry on this box also, But saw some where about line quality issues with the plasma. I can also run a feeder off the main for the PC and gantry. Just wanted to see what you guys did...

I am also considering a line conditioner and UPS for the PC and Gantry controller. Has anyone else done this???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01856.jpg   DSC01857.jpg   DSC01858.jpg   DSC01861.jpg  

DSC01867.jpg   DSC01872.jpg  

Hi Tyler, I will have to try some 1". I also have a water table. I keep my water level about 4" below the cutting surface. It works excellent and takes nearly all the smoke and dust out of the air. I do find that when the cut part drops from the sheet the air from the torch splashes a bit of water on the laser indicator among other things. Not really a big deal. When you said you cut with the water level right under the sheet it made me wonder how much added splash you get? I have been using a solution called Plasma Quench in the water and after 3 months there is zero rust in the table and the water has never stagnated or smelled and not one mosquito has found it attractive, truly amazing stuff. All I have had to do is ocasionally ad some water. I check the solution with a PH tester and even though I have had to ad water it has never needed anymore solution. I would have liked to have the air handler but when I built my table but I just could'nt afford one at the time.

Page 8 of 17 678910