586,089 active members*
3,874 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

tooling recomendations

Hello,
    I am in the process of getting my first cnc lathe here in the shop. I have ben using a old south bend 13 for a couple of years and now need to go cnc. I purchased a 17" swing 10Hp lathe running a centroid control.

I am looking for some recomendations on tooling for the new cnc machine. I do a fair amount of 4340 pre hard. What would be a good tool for general turning? I also do some 7075 aluminum so looking for recomendations here also.
    I guess just some poiters so I don't waste the little budget I have to get started.
    Thanks

Your machine is beefy enough for negative rake tooling. On my big lathe, I prefer the CNMG insert. Good quality/ fair price. You'll need a right and left hand tool holder. Also get a large boring bar that takes CNMG inserts. Inserts are made for both tool steel and AL. Also ruffing and finishing. I'm lucky enough to have a tool turret and have both ruff and finish loaded all the time.

You'll need a cutoff tool holder. I think the Manchester Separator tool system is the best bang/buck.

A 90 degree spot drill is needed for starting a drill hole. I just use HSS here, only 'cause I've smucked a few solid carbide ones

You'll probably also need a boring bar(s) for small diameter holes. And a thread insert and holders for threading. I have more than one vendor/insert here and no real solid recommendations.

And. of course a number of drills. I just use good quality HSS here.

Karl

Karl

Thanks!
    Looks like a fairly comon size insert and works in a bunch of tools. I already have spot drills, number drills and a bunch of other stuff from my manual lathe and Bridgeport.