586,075 active members*
4,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Brass...why?

Brass...why?

I've noticed that some things are built with brass material such as spindles, collars, handles, pulleys, and some other uses.

The question is, why is brass choosen for a particular use.

Some people say it's for decoration purposes, and others say it's stronger.

I need a clear reason.

C360 - (Free Cutting Brass) Most common brass, excellent high speed machining operations and superior thread rolling and knurling characteristics. Easily soldered and brazed and has very good resistance to corrosion.

C464 - (Naval Brass) Excellent for hot forming and adapts well to hot forging and pressing. Good for drawing, forming, bending and heading. It is readily soldered, brazed and welded. Excellent corrosion resistance to seawater at all temperature ranges while maintaining strength and rigidity.

C485 - (Naval Brass Leaded) Similar to C464 the addition of lead to C485 provides a high degree of machinability. Good capacity for hot-forming but is not recommended for cold working. Can be readily brazed or soldered. Very good corrosion resistance to seawater.

HTH

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

In a more general way, people like brass because it looks like gold but is much cheaper. It is weather resistant, and while it tarnishes or aquires a patina to a brownish color, that color is not unattractive either. In fact, "antique brass" color is a recognized finish color for things like architectural metalwork.

It holds up well in a marine environment, although it requires polishing if you want to keep it bright. It also seems a more "friendly" color than chrome or stainless steel and can have an old fashioned charm.

It is fairly easy to cast, and as mentioned above, easily machined types are available. Although brass alloyed with lead should not be used for use with drinking water these days. People should be careful as due to the health effects of lead. Copper oxide is not good for you either, but this is less of a problem apparently.