586,732 active members*
2,646 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smooth bearings for dynamic balancer

I am looking into building a dynamic balancer for rotors. Something like this:

Erbessd Instruments - High-precision & high-quality Balancing Machines

Obviously the bearings that support the part being balanced need to be really smooth. In other words, you don't want the bearings to introduce vibrations because they are rough.

What kinds of bearings are suitable for this? It it as simple as going for ABEC 7 or 9 bearings?

Thanks,

-Martin

Re: Smooth bearings for dynamic balancer

Maybe go with ceramic bearings
    Radial Bearings Ceramic Hybrid Series

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Maybe go with ceramic bearings
    Radial Bearings Ceramic Hybrid Series
    I was looking into that. There are some cheap yet seemingly high quality bearings for skateboards. Not sure what their limitations might be though.

-Martin

Don't over think this. Any decent bearing should do the job. Use shielded vs sealed. If you find the bearings are inducing noise into your measurement system, then upgrade them. Note that a bushing on a polished shaft will be really smooth.

bob

This guys put together a pretty "straightforward" looking balancer.. I think it's more an issue of the software and actual measurement equipment used. He's also using it to balance rotors (for a 4th axis brake) at 5,000 rpm if I'm not mistaken

His explanation starts at 4:10
    https://youtu.be/xP_Fc8actok

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    Don't over think this. Any decent bearing should do the job. Use shielded vs sealed. If you find the bearings are inducing noise into your measurement system, then upgrade them. Note that a bushing on a polished shaft will be really smooth.

bob
    Thanks. You are right, of course.

-Martin

Quote Originally Posted by crazydiamond View Post
    This guys put together a pretty "straightforward" looking balancer.. I think it's more an issue of the software and actual measurement equipment used. He's also using it to balance rotors (for a 4th axis brake) at 5,000 rpm if I'm not mistaken
    Yup, that's basically what I am looking to build, times 2. In other words, both ends would be floating in order to do 2 plane balancing. Also, since I want to be able to balance the rotor out of a spindle motor I'll need to support it with a set of bearings at each end.

I have a bunch of aluminum t-slot (80/20) laying around. Thinking about building most of the frame with that. It makes for quick prototyping.

Yikes, 4,000 RPM! I would have a Lexan box around the thing for safety. If that thing gets loose at 4,000 RPM the damage it could cause is almost unimaginable. Many years ago I built a propeller testing rig for competition carbon fiber RC propellers running up to 20,000 RPM. I had a few fail and get loose in various ways. Let's just say I was glad to have fully encased the thing in Lexan.

Thanks,

-Martin