586,116 active members*
3,421 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How do you shim your spindle?

If my spindle is not perfectly square which my table (which apparently is how it will most likely be once it is assembled), I have heard that you are supposed to shim the base casting with respect to the stand interface. I imagine you can also shim the spindle tower.

Which one have you tried and which one have worked best for you?
    I document my CNC Experience at CNC Dude's Youtube channel. Check it out!

Re: How do you shim your spindle?

Here is a thread that discussed (debated, argued) this in detail. I am pointing to the post where the OP described his ultimate solution:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ml#post1645434
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

It depends on what isn't square and by how much.

Where and how you shim depends on where you're off, and it can be deceptively complex to figure that out. Do it wrong, and you'll just make things worse. Shimming the base does no good if the column it off, and shimming the column does no good if the base is off. EVERY interface has to be considered wrong, until you've measured each, in isolation, to determine exactly where the problem actually is.

Regards,
    Ray L.

The way I read his question is the mill base to the tormach stand correct?
    If correct tmarks11 pointed to a good thread and I would like to know is there other discussions of this? I have been looking at this for a couple weeks now trying to flatten the table a little more over entire work envelope . So far no real improvement and have not been able to try a 3 point base support because I use a tormach stand and evolves built his own stand. Anyone try or do this with a tormach stand?
    md

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    ... If correct tmarks11 pointed to a good thread and I would like to know is there other discussions of this?
    There are several threads on this forum but most discuss simply untwisting/twisting the base until tram is withing limits. I believe this is the wrong approach and I would first ensure that the base has no twist by using a very sensitive spirit level. This guy appears to have got it right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuiHg6eJk6w

I used one of these:

Attachment 272340

I bought mine from RC-Machines (Luxembourg €99) but you can buy them from Shars $64.90 - search for "8" Master Precisions Level".

Step

Thanks turbo, lockcracker, nycyc and all others that have done some of this before and shared their experience. Raises my confidence in what I'm checking, how I am checking it and if the device and setups are up to the task and performing. Some of my tools are of marginal quality and don't promote confidence in what I see. As I had mentioned before I have been reviewing / messing with this the last couple of weeks having my machine down for cleaning and adjustment.
    I will order a decent level to add to my level collection "I have a few" and some indicator accessories and layout tools I can trust a little better. This is something I want to check, adjust and monitor as time goes by.
    md

Edit:
    Forgot to also thank the guy that put one of these in his basement that nycnc references in his video. Was that you Mike?