586,106 active members*
3,262 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool Hypertherm finecut consumable life

I have been using Hypertherm's finecut nozzles to cut 14ga with my model PM1000 plasma. It seems that I am only getting about 10 minutes of cut time and maybe 60 pierces before the nozzle hole gets too big and starts gouging instead of cutting through. I am using the recommended settings of 40A, 79THC, and 130-135ipm speed with a 3/16" pierce height.

Is this short lifespan normal for these tips, or do I have somethig set up wrong? I am buying 5 nozzles for about $22, or about $4.40 each - anything cheaper out there?
    Ric - Boss Frog

Hey Bossfrog,
    We are using the same tips here in our shop for most of our cuts. We are getting alot more time out of them than you are. We are using three different filters plus an air dryer . What kind of water and oil filtration do you use? If you want to give me a call here at the office, the phone number is still the same.We can go thru it and try to pinpoint the problem.
    Greg

Greg:
    From my compressor, I run 3/4" pipe up to the ceiling, then over about 10' and back down with 2 drains on the bottom ends (to try to cool and condense the water). Near the end of the pipe run, I added a general purpose filter (about $50), and flexible hose to the plasma. The plasma has a filter on the back of it too.

Maybe this isn't getting all the water out - would this cause the early retirment of these consumables? It doesn't seem to spit or sputter at all, and cuts great right up to when it starts gouging, then it is all over.
    Ric - Boss Frog

Ric,
    I bought a refrigerated dryer system off Ebay brand new for $425. It works up to a 10HP compressor and runs off 110V, also has 5/8 inlets and outlets.

Ed

Ric,
    Any water or oil at all will shorten consumable life greatly. Our first line of defense here is our air dryer, Then we have a standard filter coming off of the air compressor, and finally a toilet paper style filter at the plasma generator. I dont have an exact count on how many pierces or cuts I get out of our consumables but I can tell you that I only have to change tips every three to four weeks, and thats with us cutting 4-5 days a week.
    Greg

I assume that you are talking about 60A shielded consumables? The 40A fine cut nozzles have a really small hole, and are unshielded. I will buy a desiccant type filter and see if that makes a difference.
    Ric - Boss Frog

Ric,
    No Sir, I am speaking of the 40 amp fine cuts. The largest portion of what we cut here is 16 gauge. The 40 amps spend more time on our torch than the 60's . I cant say the same thing for our 60 amp tip life it is quite a bit shorter but I am still getting more life out of those than you are your 40 amps. Everytime I think of a possible solution to your problem I keep coming back to water in the air lines. I just dont know what else it could be. Im waiting for Walt to get a free minute so he and I can sit down and throw around some ideas on any possible solutions.
    Greg

Greg:
    Wow - so I really do have a consumable problem! I have ordered a desiccant filter which should take care of the majority of the water - hopefully that will help.

I also e-mailed Leon with my EnRoute vs WE-CIM questions.
    Ric - Boss Frog

I have to offer the same idea as Ed, refrigerated dryer. Bought one and it has without any doubt increased the live of the fine cuts. We cut 16ga and 14ga mostly and use a Hypertherm 1250.

The dryer the air the better

Another guy told me that I should be using a coalescing filter before the desiccant filter. I have a general purpose filter inline now, and will add the desiccant filter at the end of the 30' pipe run near the plasma. Hopefully most of the water will be out by then, and the desiccant will be able to remove the rest without plugging up all the time. The fridge systems are a little pricey!
    Ric - Boss Frog