586,103 active members*
3,859 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can you help me identify this?

I extracted three of these stepper controllers from the trash. A web search didn't net me anything regarding documentation. I'm not clear about what happens on terminals #1,2,& 3. Every things else seems pretty self explanatory. Terminal #1 is labeled +5VDC, #2 is DIR and #3 is CLOCK. From the circuit diagram it appears these are opto-isolated. Can I connect a RS232 signal to these or do I need another interface board to provide isolation from the computer. I guess my question is, "how do I connect a computer to this so I can use something like MACH3 to control steppers."
    Attached Files Attached Files

looks like it is a normal step(clock) and direction drive. 2amp max -
    12-42v dc.

It also only seems to do half and full stepping. Yes - the inputs seem to be opto isolated.

If mach puts out step and direction signal - should work
    turbocnc and emc2 are a few more porgrams.

there are a bunch.

sam

stepper drive from trash

Hi
    I cant help you identify the drives but you will need a 5v supply to operate the electronics in the drive, and the positive will connect to terminal 1, and the negative will connect to pin 5.
    If you decide to use turbocnc it is a free download from the net, complete with manual which explains how to connect it up to drives and how to use the software.Even if you decide not to use it, the manual will explain all you need to know about using your drive.
    Turbocnc interfaces directly from the computer port and wired directly to the stepper drives.
    The input to the drives will be isolated inputs so you will not do any harm to your computer if the drives dont actually function, well you said you got them out of a skip, so something must be wrong with them but i hope for your sake they were in there due to age , not malfunction.
    Hope this helps.
    Clive (UK. 50 miles from London)

Sam, thanks for the identification. I'm assuming the step input would be pin #3 (identified as CLOCK) and pin #2 would be DIR and the +5 would come from where? Or do I have this all wrong?

Thanks,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    Sam, thanks for the identification. I'm assuming the step input would be pin #3 (identified as CLOCK) and pin #2 would be DIR and the +5 would come from where? Or do I have this all wrong?

Thanks,

Bob
    You will need a parallel printer port breakout board which will interface the software of your choice (Mach, Turbocnc, or other) to the drives.

The 5 volts DC will have to come from an external source. The 5v common (-) will attach to the breakout board and the (+) side of the 5 volts will attach to the 5 Volt pin on the drive.

Here is a generic sample on this site.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24432

You can use this Gecko wiring diagram as a reference to hook up your drive and breakout board with external 5 volt power supply:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14943

Jerry

Jerry,

Many thanks for the wiring diagram references. They proved to be very helpful. Do you have a recommendation for a parallel printer port breakout board. I'm assuming the breakout board is not particular to a certain software package? I plan on using Mach software

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    Jerry,

Many thanks for the wiring diagram references. They proved to be very helpful. Do you have a recommendation for a parallel printer port breakout board. I'm assuming the breakout board is not particular to a certain software package? I plan on using Mach software

Bob
    www.cnc4pc.com

C10 Bi-directional breakout board $25.00 + change. Shipping is about $5.00.

You will need a 5 volt power supply. Look at the one under accessories and also the USB cable if you have a USB port.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, I've ordered the breakout board and I'm anxiously waiting its arrival.

Bob