586,265 active members*
3,610 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Drilling holes Edgecam 2015 R1

Drilling holes Edgecam 2015 R1

Hi, I'm trying to drill several 2mm dia holes that sit in a rectangular pocket at Z-20. I want the drill to stay at Z-15 whilst moving between the holes then rapid out to Z+5 at the end. I've been playing with depth, level, clearance etc setting but cannot get the thing to work. I can get close but the approach from tool change crashes into the side wall of the pocket. If the was an 'approach at' check box I could figure it out. Any help would be gratefully apreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drilling.jpg  

Re: Drilling holes Edgecam 2015 R1

If your close, then why not just manually edit the approach in the nc code so it doesn't crash into the side wall?

Part of the problem is in the post processor - Machine Parameters
    turn off the checkbox for Rapid 3D

set Clearance = -15, Retract =.5, Level = -20, Depth -(?)
    the cycle will end at Z-15, add a rapid move to Z+5
    or Move To Toolchange = Z First

Post Machine Parameters
    Resolved Rapids:
    Check the box if your Machine Tool outputs resolved (straight-line) rapid movement.
    If the box is blank, rapid moves will be output as unresolved (or 'dog leg') moves.
    (maximum rapid rate in both axes)

Rapid 3D:
    Check the box if you want your Machine Tool to output XYZ in one move
    (or XY, then Z on a separate block).

Clearance should be at Z+5, level at the top of the hole, depth at the bottom, and retract at a point just above the hole where rapid turns to feed. Then jump over to the "Links" tab in the dialog and set your links to optimised instead of clearance, and change your safe distance to 5. That should make the links between the tops of the holes start and end at 5 above the top of the hole. If you set your level at Z-20 then your drill should retract to Z-15 between holes.

-G