586,103 active members*
3,733 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > NOVAKON – THE BEST CNC MILL IN ITS PRICE RANGE

NOVAKON – THE BEST CNC MILL IN ITS PRICE RANGE

Just received my new Torus PRO CNC Mill to replace my previous Mill which I sold. The new Mill is loaded with the optional Servo Axis Drives, Power Draw Bar, Spindle Braking Resistor, and Fourth Axis Controller.

It has been two years since we bought our last Torus PRO and the improvements are significant:

Much improved stand with the trays draining into a large opening under the Mill. (No more clogged one inch coolant drain – The tray is much stronger and is finally large enough to handle full movement of the X and Y axis without hitting the right side and front of the tray.)

Superior coolant and wash down system (Two 90 watt pumps – one for coolant and one for the wash down hose)

An additional coolant drain for the table. (Located on the left front of the table – On the previous Mill, chips in the table grooves could prevent the coolant from draining from the left side of the table to the drain located on right rear side of the table)

Double chip drawer collection system and coolant recycle tank. (Two tray filters to prevent the finest chips from entering the coolant tank – easily replaceable hose for the coolant sight gauge)

The next generation replacement VFD (the new E550 VFD replaces the C300 which is no longer available) in conjunction with a braking resistor that stops the spindle or changes the spindle RPM in one half second. (Must see it to believe it)

New Novakon BOB that in conjunction with an Arduino processor and Smooth Stepper significantly smooth’s the spindle operation. (No more Mach 3 locks up when the Mill sets idle for an extended period of time)

Much improved powder coated paint for the stand and Mill. (Oil and coolant easily wipe off the Mill and tray surfaces)

Excellent cable and wiring identification and routing.

Additional lubricating for the X-Axis table.

Improved PDB wiring harness. (Fuse protection for the 12V battery)

It is no longer necessary to remove the PDB spindle encoder when removing the draw bar.

Re: NOVAKON – THE BEST CNC MILL IN ITS PRICE RANGE

Looking forward to following this!!!
    Don't have to be too bright to be me

First Projects using the Novakon TorusPRO CNC Mill

My first projects were created to test the ability of the Novakon TorusPRO CNC Mill to do V-Carving and detailed inlay work. Both of these projects require the Mill to have minimal backlash and smooth operation of the spindle and table to produce sharp corners when milling the wood surface. The TorusPRO came through with flying colors as shipped. In other words, no additional calibration of the Mill was needed to achieve the required accuarcy.

The wood is solid Maple. I plan to seal the wood surfaces with a urethane finish.

I used BobCAM Version 27 cad/cam software to create these designs and post the G-code.

I downloaded a demo version of BobCAM at BobCAD-CAM

I'm really glad to hear that!!!! A bit jealous, but still really happy for you!
    Don't have to be too bright to be me

That really looks good and you did not need to calibrate the mill at all?
    That says a lot about the manufacturer and their quality control.
    It seems I am not as far along as you in my setup and use but so far my machine has been everything I expected and more. everything I have tested to date has not needed any adjustments or tweaks.
    Keep the projects and updates coming.

My machine was great, right out of the box. The only significant change I made was putting in the KFlop, but I never did any adjustment or calibration, other than moving the home/limit switches to get the full 25" x 15" X/Y travels. The only real repair I've had to do was tearing into the oiling system, when the X axis flow control valves clogged up.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Looking good.

I will suggest that you look into Fusion 360. It has nice CAM with it that can be used on a loot of projects. The best part is that it is free for hobby use and even start ups.
    One of the founders mentioned in a post that if you make and sell products and still do not gross 100,000 a year, then Fusion 360 is free to use.

Look forward to your future posts.
    Lee

that is one ugly wiring job....

Because it is done that way, it is very easy to trace the wiring. Easy to add features or do repairs if needed.
    If it was all nice and tidy and behind a Din rail cover, that may not be as easy.
    It can be tidied up some more with some ties. I'll give you that.
    Lee

Yeah but you don't have the naked guy on the front anymore! Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by keithmcelhinney View Post
    Yeah but you don't have the naked guy on the front anymore! Haha!
    Looks like he's still there to me - see Pic 1 in the OP.

Mike

He's still on both current machines.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Because it is done that way, it is very easy to trace the wiring. Easy to add features or do repairs if needed.
    If it was all nice and tidy and behind a Din rail cover, that may not be as easy.
    It can be tidied up some more with some ties. I'll give you that.
    I build industrial control panels, and troubleshoot them as well. As long as there is a good electrical schematic, there is no need to open up wire duct, and adding features or wiring is not made any harder by doing a proper job. But to each his own....

Right. The average Joe though has to see it to make it easier to trace. Especially someone at an entry level to cnc, which is what the little Pulsar is geared toward. These are not really industrial quality machines. I have built several of my own machines and the Novakon wiring is a step up from mine. Mine are not industrial quality either, but they all get the job done.
    Lee

I will suggest that you look into Fusion 360... then Fusion 360 is free to use.
    The cheapest I see at the link is $40 per month. Do you have a link to a free version?

Found it: http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=C...002%253D638405

Free for a year for startups, would be nice if they let you "renew"... Free for Students for 3 years.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Here is a link to a forum post that addresses this.
    non commercial license model free for ever or one ... - Autodesk Community
    Lee

Here is a link to a forum post that addresses this.
    non commercial license model free for ever or one ... - Autodesk Community
    PERFECT, thanks!
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

everyone think that when they first look at fusion they said weeks ago they will fix the wording
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Congrats IGAK

I believe you will not regret your choice. The Torus Pro bests its nearest competitor on all important levels, {work envelope, backlash, positional accuracy, slopped stand, servos ........
    My machine is about a year old and it couldn't have been a better choice. Although that is pretty new, I noticed a couple of improvements on yours.
    Novakon is definitely going in the right direction by constantly implementing minor changes as they are identified. If they continue I'll be tempted to upgrade again.

Enjoy, John