586,075 active members*
3,937 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Still struggling with the Heidenhain TNC155

Hope someone can help, I bought an ex college MDI MK1 bridgeport mill which had flat batteries. I lost the parameters and the PLC program. I had to purchase the parameters and the PLC and i also bought the drawings.
    I managed to punch in all the parameters and i managed to enter all the codes into the PLC ....except it wouldnt allow me to do the very first line...ie 0000...= nop and it should be 0000 = M 0

the machine is run off a rotary converter and i have ensured that the 3.5 kva transformer gets the 2 good legs and is inputing 420v and outputting 160v as per its design. this in turn runs too an Indramat 3 tr 2 driver board.

the whole panel was immaculately wired and nothing looks out of place.

when i switch on i get ....checking memory....then i have to press the CE button and it goes into what looks like the axis homing setup...this all seems normal up to this point.

When i press the green button to start it pulls in a contactor but when i release the button the contactor drops out again...with nothing happening.

I ran thrrough the wiring diagram and everything is as it should be...ie i have a closed circuit at the oil bath.

is anyone able to shed some light on the problem.

I think its my PLC but i'm unsure if i am able to test...is there a program i can run to see if the plc is doing what it should?

hope you can help
    regards

Ian

The PLC is burned onto PROMs. A dead battery does not make the PLC vanish.
    Who had the audacity to charge you for this and the parameters?
    When the battery is dead, it comes up in German that the parameters are not there. At this point press clear error CE and the parameter list will come up with a question mark for the first parameter. Start typing and arrow down to the next one. Most parameters are generic. Some are not such as backlash for each axis and travel limits + and - from home for each axis.
    Press the yellow button to turn the drives on. If the drives do NOT stay engaged then you have an open limit string. You need the maintenance manual or the electrical wiring diagrams. It is possible to press and HOLD the yellow button in so you can jog off the limit switch if that is where the problem is. If an axis is on a HOME switch it comes up in a block. Pressing the green button moves each axis off the home switch, one at a time with each green press. Then each green press will home an axis.
    You will need the operators manual, programming manual, etc. It is impossible to give you a course or write a manual here at this forum.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Dear Ian !
    Hi!
    please check with my recommendation , going step by step as below
    1-push MOD and cruser dwon and wright password 95148 and press ENT to see all machine MP
    2- go to MP 77 and choos the value 1 !

then turn OFF and Turn On again check machine if nothing happen go to MOD and input the password 951026 and go PLC area !

then Press EDIT key and see PLC editor , then press Q and control ask you to make copy of plc programmfrom EPROM yes or not? Press ENT to make copy , then by press END going bakc to Manual page , then Turn off and Turn On again !

if you have correct PLC prog in this way must be OK!

Thanks F. Sharifi.

I tried changing line 77 from 0 to 1....still the same....1 represents eprom...the prams did show setting 0 but nothing ventured nothing gained.

I work out on the oil rigs and i'm away from the machine at present but i will try your second recommendation on my return....thanks

George,
    Many thanks for your time and input. Pennine Automation UK charged me an arm and a leg for them….not much change out of $800.
    The machine is new to me and have never seen it run as yet
    I found the parameters fine to input. The machine is an old one with a retrofit to the tnc155. I felt it was worthwhile purchase because the machine is is beautiful nick…the lecturer said it probably only ran a couple of hundred hours in its lifetime…the machine colours would testify to this. The lecturer said it was running fine until it was moved out the college and put in storage.
    The machine had definitely lost its PLC. I phoned heidenhain uk and they showed me where to check such…every line was sitting with NOP…he sent me the codes on how to input them. He also sent me a copy of the skeleton for putting over the heidenhain buttons to input the program He also said when the batteries are left flat for a period of time that I’ll also lose the PLC.
    I don’t have a yellow button only 2 green ones….the indramat driveboard has a small red light which comes on but after that I get nothing.
    The machine has handwheels which allows movement off the axis limits…I also checked these weren’t sticky and are all free. As are the ES switches…..according to the diagram I have power going through all limit strings to the indramat.
    I have the operators manual and wiring diagram which is straight forward enough to read and check.
    I had hoped that there was a way of checking the PLC, as I don’t seem to be getting an output from the controller to the drive engage relays. The indramat needs a signal which I don’t seem to be getting.
    What concerned me was not being able to enter the very first line of code into the PLC program yet it allowed me to enter the 600 other lines….i did this all manually and rechecked that I had every number spot on correct.

I had the heidenhain engineer out, but that was before I had the correct parameters and PLC…..he at the time couldn’t do anything without them…he is very expensive and I wasn’t wanting to get him back but I’m getting no-where myself…its sometimes worth bouncing ideas off other people

Many thanks for your time George….i suppose I was just hopeing to pick someone elses brain on my puzzle

regards

ian