586,499 active members*
3,061 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > High voltage stepper motor PSU questions

High voltage stepper motor PSU questions

Hello, I am a long-time browser, first time poster. I am new with stepper motors, but have a fairly decent grasp on electronics. I am currently running a bench power supply for testing that has a max of 30v and 5a. I am using the KL-4030 driver that accepts 20-40v. (KL-4030 Bipolar Stepper Motor Driver, 40VDC/3A | Automation Technology Inc)
    I tried using this combination to drive the following device: http://www.biochemfluidics.com/Products/RV-SN-Electric-Rotary-Valve.asp
    It recommends 2.4A and 24v to drive (it's a pretty beefy motor, from what I can tell)
    I have been trying to make it work with the power supply I have and the best I can do is get it to vibrate and buzz furiously. As soon as I turn on the power supply it takes a huge drop in voltage (down to about 10-12) and just doesn't turn. I was frustrated so I picked up a stepper motor requiring 5v 2.5amps and everything works exactly as expected. I can, however replicate the buzzing problem by turning down the amperage. As soon as I start turning it down, it will reach a point where the voltage take the same 100 percent (or so) drop and it starts buzzing around like crazy. I turn it down a little more and the kl-4030 driver loses power(i'm sure not enough power draw)
    This leads me to believe that I'm going to need a MUCH beefier power supply, as turning it up all the way to 30 volts just gets me the buzzing action. I feel like if I could provide more power that the stepper motor would act the way it's supposed to. First of all, is this logic solid. If so, what would you suggest for power. I'm assuming something with 40v max(thats the max input voltage on the driver) and a much higher amperage. Will I need to build my own power supply, or is there an easier solution? ( I would LOVE to be able to run to microcenter and hack something together than have to wait)

My apologies if I left out any details. I would be happy to post any more info needed to answer any questions!

Re: High voltage stepper motor PSU questions

How are you sending step and directon signals to the motors? If you try to accelerate too fast, it can do what you're seeing?
    With only one motor, and that drive, you don't need more than 3 amps, as the drive should be able to draw more than that.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have pul+ and dir+ hooked directly to an arduino. The dir- and pul- I have running to 2 GPIO outs pulsing the pins off and on with a 20 microsecond delay between state changes. I have tried changing the delay many times. I have also uploaded a video of what I'm talking about (on the motor we are able to get working)

YouTube

If you want the motor to spin, do NOT pulse the DIR pin.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I must have mistyped. I have both hooked to gpio pins. I don't, however, change the state of the dir pin. I only pulse the pul pin

"It recommends 2.4A and 24v to drive (it's a pretty beefy motor, from what I can tell)"

is that the stepper motor Rating ??

if it is you won't drive it with 30 volts.

From the specs:

"Although the motor can be operated at a minimum voltage of 12 VDC, it is recommended to operate these motors using >= 24 VDC in order to achieve optimal motor torque and performance for reliable valve operation."

"The current ratings provided for the stepper motors are RMS ratings not Peak-to-Peak ratings. For the 1.8A quad stack-motore, it is recommended that the power supply be capable of supplying a minimum of 2.6 amps current, as the motor can draw up to 2.545A p-p"

I am with you...I think there is not enough power getting to the motor. I just have no idea what power supply to buy to make sure I'm not having an issue. I'd love to know how to do the math to figure out this problem in the future.

For example, is this going to underpower the motor as well?

Amazon.com: SUPERNIGHT AC 100-240V To DC 24V 5A 5.5x2.1mm DC Output Jack Power Supply Converter Adapter for Led Light Strips: Computers & Accessories

I looked at the link in the first post but couldn't find any specs on the motor that they use with these multi port valves, if we knew the part number or model number of the motor then I could tell you more.

I use multi-port valves on my old HP 5712A I got my valves from Supelco and they are Valco Valves but I use the Air actuators Valco DVI
    sounds like you are gonna make an interesting project

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf55 View Post
    I looked at the link in the first post but couldn't find any specs on the motor that they use with these multi port valves, if we knew the part number or model number of the motor then I could tell you more.

I use multi-port valves on my old HP 5712A I got my valves from Supelco and they are Valco Valves but I use the Air actuators Valco DVI
    sounds like you are gonna make an interesting project

I just noticed my original link is busted here is a copy. I have the model found on page 5

https://www.chromspec.com/pdf/e/bf17.pdf

the motor in the device is found here with the part number suffixed with 049

QMot QSH4218

ok the Rated voltage is 5 volts the current 1 Amp, Resistance is 5 Ohms, and Inductance is 8 mH.

at 24 volts it should be running fine up to 7.5 RPS with a wattage of 24

is that a New Motor or used ???

The problem is cause by the bench power supply's fast acting current limiter, interacting with the driver's current controller.

Turn up the bench supply's current limit setting.

Quote Originally Posted by H500 View Post
    The problem is cause by the bench power supply's fast acting current limiter, interacting with the driver's current controller.

Turn up the bench supply's current limit setting.
    Ya I thought of that too, However he said he got another Stepper and it works fine....... so it don't seem like that is the issue.....

Kennedyl said:
    "I picked up a stepper motor requiring 5v 2.5amps and everything works exactly as expected."

That one Requires more Current than the one he is trying to get working.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf55 View Post
    Ya I thought of that too, However he said he got another Stepper and it works fine....... so it don't seem like that is the issue.....

Kennedyl said:
    "I picked up a stepper motor requiring 5v 2.5amps and everything works exactly as expected."

That one Requires more Current than the one he is trying to get working.
    I swapped out the motors and everything works as it should. The motor is new so I don't know whether it's faulty or needs more power or what. The end goal is reached but I am still a little frustrated

Cranking up the current to test, takes no effort. The higher current motor might have a higher inductance. You are likely struggling with an artificially induced problem.

Quote Originally Posted by H500 View Post
    Cranking up the current to test, takes no effort. The higher current motor might have a higher inductance. You are likely struggling with an artificially induced problem.
    I agree it's likely artificially induced. I can't however crank the current any higher with that bench supply which has been issue with testing

For testing purposes, max out the supply limit and lower the drive current until the problem goes away. Raising the supply voltage might also help.

a down and Dirty way to get a Cheap High Amp Source is to use ATX Puter Power Supplies... you can series connect them to increase Voltage too.
    Modding the AT or ATX supplies is simple and cheap too.

we used to use car batteries in the shop, but we had plenty laying around.

However none of these Methods are really approved, Therefore my Disclaimer:

This information is provided free of charge and is probably worth precisely what you paid for it. If you build one of these devices, it is likely that it will fly apart and kill everyone within 5 blocks. Construct and use at your own risk.