584,865 active members*
4,846 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Ezilathe, a useful aid to lathe programming.
Page 9 of 11 7891011

Re: Ezilathe, a useful aid to lathe programming.

I have just set up a Taig Turn CNC lathe and found EziLathe. Fantastic program and the videos you did really help with using it. I've done some air cutting so far.

This may have been answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it (and I'm no expert on CNC programming, but do OK with my CNC mill.....lathe is a new beast for me). I'm doing some conventional cutting (tool on the front side) then centre drill and drill; no problem so far. Then I want to part off with a rear tool post. Is this done in EziLathe somewhere or in Mach3? I want just the parting to be with the rear tool post without changing spindle direction (tool is upside down).

Thank you very much for this excellent software!

Rick

Carbuilder.
    Glad you like it.
    Rear toolpost - Not much in the mach3 manual, but without trying it myself (No rear Toolpost), I would try this, as a place to start. Cannot see any issue (Axis limits should be OK), but certainly keep air cutting until certain.

1) Touch off tool as normal, but touch off at rear, and enter as negative size. This should give correct X0.0 position. Z as Normal.
    2) Change Ezilathe Parting off routine (In Favorites) as listed below to come from Rear. Note negative X, and adjust to suit your lathe/tooling.
    3) Copy / Paste from favorites into your Gcode, and adjust to suit the actual job.

Parting off (Select 1 tool only. Change S, F, X and Z)
    T1818 (Parting Tool blade 1.5mm)
    T1919 (Parting Tool carbide 1.5mm)
    T2020 (PARTING TOOL)
    M03 S****
    G00 X-20.0 Z2.0 (Move to safe traverse Position)
    G00 Z-24.0 (Move to required Z)
    G01 X1.0 F30.0 (Part off through center)
    G00 X-20.0 (Move Back Out, Just in Case)
    G00 Z2.0 (Move to safe position, before Home)
    G28 M5

Thank you very much. That worked perfectly! Mach3 does have the "rear" tool option in setting up the tool table, but I found that messed things up when all the other tools were front mounted. So I just left it as front mounted in the tool table (even though the parting tool is rear mounted) along with the other 3 front mounted tools.
    Took a long time to get the tool table all set up. I don't really know why, but it seemed to mysteriously change after entering values and then going back and checking. No doubt it was because I was doing something wrong. I found the best way was to get it close, then 0,0 the main tool (#1), then use T0202 X0, see where it ends up and make adjustments in the table. Repeat for other tools.

I did quite a bit of air cutting, then with a plastic rod, and finally last night with steel. The cutting went perfect, the parting off.....not so great. Spindle speed too fast and by time I grabbed the oil it was too late. So some adjustments needed to that; pause the program so I can swap the belt to slow down the spindle. Soon I'll be cranking out parts! My wife never believes me when I say that. These parts I need are only .2" diameter and .5" long. She looked at one and said "how much did it cost you to make that?".

Rick

Carbuilder
    Glad that worked for you, might have to look at a rear Toolpost sometime myself.

As for setting up a Tool table, A couple of comments, all tried and tested.
    1) Master tool - best a RH Face/turn tool.
    2) Using mach3 Turn.PDF - Good explanation of this (Chapter 7), Including swapping from Front - rear Toolpst in setup not recommended! Probably should have Greyed out the button.
    Basically I follow what is written in the PDF. Jpg attached is my Tool Table, slight differences to chap 7, but clearer, especially the touchX/TouchZ button locations. Note that this window does fill in the Tool Table Editor. Mach3 asks to update on exit if any changes made, so changes should not be lost. (On a clean exit).

3) After Homing. Face/Turn using master Tool T00 or T01. Set X DRO to measured Size (Dia or rad depending on Mach setting Diameter or radius mode). Set Z to 0.0 when faced. These surfaces are now used to "Touch off" other Tools.
    4) In Part Zeroing Coordinates Dro, Enter the measured X size, and Z 0.0 before moving the relevant axis. If using a drill shank to roll through as a touch off point (eg a 3mm Drill Shank) add the required offset i.e. X Measured size + 3 rad or 6 dia, and Z 3. Note this works well, and very easy to judge.
    5) Call up Tool required and touch off Z. Finish by Pressing the "TouchZ Button" This should Enter a Z offset in the Z offset box, and the Z Dro should now reflect the actual Z touch off point as per master tool. Do the same for X, and you are set.

I hope this helps, I've been doing this for years, and only when there is a change to a tool, do I need to repeat.

Sorry, Forgot the JPG of My Tool editor window (Later version than the Manual????)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toolset.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	478458

Don't know why I had so much trouble setting the various tools. Part of the issue is not paying attention when you go out of the tool setting window and then go back into it that you may not be on the tool you left; resets to tool #0 often.

I also found that I would set everything up, machine the part, and it wouldn't be quite the right size. Supposed to be .155" dia and would be .162". So I tried tweaking the tool wear setting and sometimes it would change the part and sometimes it wouldn't. Then I noticed that it was also changing the part zero for the X-axis; wasn't sure if it should be doing that or not. Anyways, it took a lot of tweaking (and learning the ins and outs of mach3 turn) to finally get it to do what I wanted. It is strange that the program I put in had the final machining at .155" dia and with X0 set perfectly I wasn't always getting that. I found the best way to make an adjustment was to measure the part, say it was .160" dia, then move the X0 .005" on dia and re-zero it at that position.

Once I finally got it all set up the parts came out perfectly and with amazing repeatability. Like to .0001" diameter.

So with these done, and with full confidence (always a dangerous thing to have!) I'm moving on the the valves now.

Thank you once again for the program and the support.

Pictures show the tools ready to go; cutting, centre drilling, drilling, parting. 16 parts in less than an hour (not counting the debugging weeks).

Rick

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 1.37.24 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 1.37.38 PM.jpg  

So is this software only going to work with DXF files created from AutoCAD? Please help

TimRC
    Ezilathe should be able to process All ASCII (Text) DXF files created with any CAD system.
    Having said that, DXF files continue to develop, if you do find a DXF that does not work, I would like to know about it.

Ezilathe only supports (or Needs) only Lines,Arcs,Polylines and LWPolylines (Also Circles for mill work).
    Splines are not supported, and should not be used, other un-supported entities are just ignored.

Hope this helps.

Hi Stutank,

I just logged in after a long time. My CNC lathe conversion is almost completed. I was ill a while back so had to stop work. I needed to machine some parts to complete my CNC lathe and decided to complete my other CNC project a CNC router. I hope to make some chips soon.

Cheers

rengan

Rengan77
    Hopefully a good outcome soon. I've been doing other things recently, so no updates finished as yet.
    I've been building a CNC cam grinder (see photo) that needed software written.

Hi Stutank. I just found out about your software, I absolutely love it! Works like a dream on our Kia Kit30B
    Dan Gray
    http://siderealtechnoogy.com/SLO/

Hi Stutank. I just found out about your software, I absolutely love it! Works like a dream on our Kia Kit30B
    Dan Gray
    http://siderealtechnoogy.com/SLO/

Quote Originally Posted by rengan77 View Post
    Hi Stutank,

We are completing week 1 of COVID lockdown which started on the 1/6/2021, The lock down will be until 14/6/2021 (hopefully). I am using the time to complete my cnc lathe enclosure. There are a few more items to complete. Attached are some photos of my progress. I will be making a hole in the lathe swarf tray and adding a "drawer" type swarf tray under the lathe to collect the swarf. The front panel will be a swinging type polycarbonate cover. All cables will route on the top cover for clean setup. I decided not to start making chips yet until i have the swarf collection completed. I like a clean setup as i live in an apartment and need all the chips to be contained within the "lathe box". I also completed the 1 pulse per rev tacho-wheel which i machined on my DIY cnc router. I need it for threading and can test the threading function in Ezilathe too.

Just sharing

Cheers stay safe
    rengan
    The idea with using the polycarbonate cover is brilliant. I live in a small apartment and could not deal with this much of a messy setup. Hopefully I gt a real estate property soon that I can move into. Been looking for them through my instagram account which I heard has a lot of listings here. Anyway, can you show the completed project since I assume it is done now?

Lightbulb Re: Ezilathe, a useful aid to lathe programming.

About Rick on the rocks Florida dad blogger lifestyle travel blog

Rick’s goal is to live a more lively and entertaining lifestyle, whether by just traveling, shopping, or just doing something unique in his own home.

Source: https://gorledge.com/rick-on-the-roc...festyle-travel

greyarea56
    Glad it works for you. I should shortly be uploading an update, many minor changes done. Just needs checking out now, then ready to go.

CAD4Lathe question
    Hello, Stutank, I hope you are still monitoring this thread.
    Question: is there a way to resize the window the CAD4Lathe opens up on startup? The Windows Taskbar covers the bottom controls and if I move the taskbar to the side it also covers important functions.
    Thanks

Yes, Still monitoring. This is a new one for me, I would love to know your screen resolution, as I thought I had all covered.
    A number of things can be done, #1 would be for you to auto-hide your taskbar. A number of things can be done to help from my end.
    The window is set to maximize for screen resolutions above the designed size, and include scroll bar below.
    I can check this out if I know your screen resolution and operating system.

Just to help out and add some info, I'm using 1920 x 1080 and the window fits perfectly.
    Dave->..

Ezilathe is developed on 1920 x 1080 screen resolution, But it is easy to forget the lower resolution screens.
    The manual says 1024 x 768 Prefer Higher, and I used to check out on this resolution (not done that for a while), and I may have forgotten the Task Bar.

Hi Stutank,

I finally got my cnc mini lathe up and running. My first real cut is in the video below.

https://youtu.be/gIF-W9mA7tw

I did find some possible bugs (may or may not be). i need your opinion.

1. I noticed Ezilathe cannot cater for G53 X0 Z0. The simulator thinks it is the program coordinate and not machine coordinate. For some reason G28 does not work so well with my lathe (running Mach3 Turn). To fix this i run simulation as "M5 G28" in ezilathe and mannually edit my codes to "M5 G53 X0 Z0". Maybe you could incorporate G53 as part of the simulation to go to home ?

2.I am trying to make a drill bushing and tested several iteration of the tool selection and gcode but seems to indicate in the attached photos some material will be removed when i am cutting a previously cut area. The Gcode indicates the diameter X16 (in the photo), thus i believe ideally no extra material will be removed. I understand if you pass a cutting tool over a previously cut section, definitely a very small material will be shaved, should not be significant. This should behave as though it is a "spring" pass.

I have started to experiment with layers to see if i can create a tool path for one set of tools and use another layer to use another set of tools to cleanup things. The attached example is just one layer.

I have attached the tools i set up for my CNC lathe for your reference.

Cheers
    rengan

Page 9 of 11 7891011