586,094 active members*
4,189 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: First cuts

First cuts

Ya something simple.. But hay..

Only held down to the board with a little carpet tape. So was rocking around...

but here are the pics...

the machine ran real well although I think I'm going to gear the belt x drive down by half..

b.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0115.JPG   DSCF0114.JPG   DSCF0113.JPG  

Very cool! Looking good. It is such a good feeling to see it make that first cut isn't it? I've only been able to do the two axis test cut, can't wait to get to the three axis cut!

Have fun!
    Mike

Yep...

A bit scary in my case as I still need to install my limit switches.. (one wrong click of the go to zero button at the wrong time can make ya jump..hehe)

But all things considered it did the job well (how ever I was running a real slow feed rate then up'd it to 300% (limit in mach) which left me cutting at only 10ipm at the time I think.. But the motors all sounded like they were doing their jobs and liked it..

I do how ever need to figure a way to put resistance on my Z so if the gecko's fault out or something the Z axis does not coast it's way through the table..

b.

Very nice. I can't wait to make my first cuts.

Nice job.

What CAM software you using?

John

That was done with the write wizard in Mach3..

I've become a big fan of Mach.. Maybe not the best and probably had more features that I could figure out but I'm able to use it so it's all good to me..

b.

Well I wired up the limit and home switches. (and great now I have to re-wire my mill because I understand things more now.... )

But I wired my limit's all in series..

And decided to wire my x and y home in series as well. The way I figure.. If they are in series I will save 1 input to my ports. Mach3 only moves 1 axis onto and back off the home switches at a time anyway. So it should be able to look at the same input for both. (homes x trips switch, backs off untrips switch then homes Y (and then maybe Z to but I don't see the point in a Z home really) trips switch and backs off again.

Perhaps this is the way it's suposed to be but I've still seen diagrams out with home's in parallel..

Course my mill limits are all in parallel and wired Normaly open of course so quite a bit of work to alter that one.. But will probably have to so all the tools are on the same page.. Going to be a pain in the but though..

b.

b/.

I'll post some pics of the way I did the limit switches tonight or something.

b;