586,060 active members*
4,153 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

CRP PRO4896 NEMA 34

I am getting ready to start building my new machine from CNCROUTERPARTS.

It will be a 48x96 with 12" Z using NEMA 34 electronics.

I ordered the electronics kit preassembled, the cable track kit, the auto Z plate, etc.. About the only thing I did not order from them was the steel base leg kit and the router.

I have been working with CNC for the last 5 years. I started with a Shark Pro Plus 25x25 and then about 2 years into that I upgraded it to an extended bed so I could cut 25x54.Here is a pic of my current setup.

It has been a good machine to learn on. My main goal with this purchase was to get a machine that was more rigid and could cut faster. However, knowing my track record, it would not take long for me to want to increase the bed size from 24x48 to 48x48 and then eventually to 48x96. So, I decided to hold off and wait and pull the trigger on the big bad daddy!

I ordered everything about a week ago and the 80/20 extrusion arrived the other day. So, today I decided to start building my table.

It's 49x112x30.

I got this far today with lumber I collected when I built my shop last year. I need to go buy some additional boards to finish off the framing and then skin it all in MDF.

-Eric

Re: CRP PRO4896 NEMA 34

Tell us more about those textured cabinet panels in the 3rd picture. Those look nice!

You saw those?

That is something I had been wanting to do for a while. I figured I would prototype the design on a shop cabinet before I brought one in the house.

I use Vectric Aspire and Standing Wave from Paul Rowntree to make them. Standing Wave creates the lines and then I modeled using a 2" ball nose bit in the design. The issue with my current machine is that I can't buy a 2" ball nose for use with a 1/4" collet router. So, in Aspire, I then created a model based on the Toolpath Preview and then I use a 1/2" ball nose (biggest I could find for 1/4" collet) to carve it out.

This is another driver for the new machine. It takes about 4 hours to carve a panel with the 1/2" ball nose at 200ipm. According to the estimate from Aspire, it would take a 1/4 the time with a 2" ball nose at 200ipm. I expect the new machine can beat that time not to mention it would be carved in a single pass and look better!

-Eric

Looking good - I'm envious of the space you have in your shop. My actual cutting time is limited by the fact that the machine is right below my kids room. Ugh.

I hope you plan to add more support to your table especially the legs. Make those legs as rigid as possible as the machine will shake the table at high speeds.
    Craig

I still need to put the supports on length wise and some cross members for the bottom shelf and then beef up the sides with some bracing.

I have been looking for some trailer jacks to mount to the posts in order mobilize the base, but still have it be sturdy.

My local harbor freight is out of stock, but all the ones they carry have a swing out feature that is not needed. Does anybody have a recommended dealer and sku number of one that has been used with success?

Thanks,

-Eric

I bought 4 of these for my table,

Reese Towpower 74410 Trailer Swivel Mount Jack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQOIVO..._xpFfvb19MB8D8

Quality seems good and shipping was free

The weather was too nice this weekend to spend indoors. So, I spent the bulk of my weekend doing yard work. However, I was able to get about an hour of time to work on the table some more.

I added the support beams along the side for the bottom of the table and then added braces for each of the spaces between the legs. I had thought about keeping the bottom open for storage, but I opted for strength as opposed to function.

Maybe I will need the space for vacuum plumbing or something else some day.

Also, you can see n the pics that I finished the top and the I sealed it with some Polyurethane clear I had laying around.

-Eric

That base is beefy. Looks good. I'm using the steel leg kit, and I'm surprised how sturdy that is, it doesn't move at all when I'm running the gantry all over the place. From the looks of it, your base is going to be even more robust than that.

Aside from the two 112" long supports that run the length of the table, all of the wood was leftover from the build of the shop. Part of the reason I used 2x6's instead of 2x4's.

I am trying to figure out what side I want to mount all the electronics. Any opinions for that?

-Eric

If you're planning on using the cable track kit, you can mount that on either side. I figured out which side I wanted to mount the cable track on, and then mounted my electronics there. If you're using the CNCRP supplied cable kits, a couple of them will only reach a couple of feet off the end of the track, so you're a little limited on how far away you can put them. Although, you could always just buy cable extensions and end up putting it wherever you want.

I am. I bought the cabling track kit and CNCRP is building out the electronics and providing the cables. I'll just put the electronics on a panel close to where the computer is planned to be located.

I got the chance to unbox all my 80/20 extrusion that came in last week. The rest of my machine has shipped and should be here next week. Unfortunately, I have to travel and won't be here to receive it all. Ahren was able to have UPS hold the shipment for me and I will need to go the UPS to pick it up when I return. While it may not be ideal, it's a whole lot better than having it sit on my front porch for a few days.

Also, I was able to pick up four trailer jacks (not pictured) from Northern Tool yesterday. I'll get those mounted and make the table mobile.

The cool thing is that big piece in the center for the Gantry. My current machine gantry is about 1/2"x5"x25" and is made of plastic. I am getting excited!!!

It's funny how small the gantry extrusion looks on your table. In reality, the thing is a large chunk of aluminum. I was really surprised when I unboxed it!

Looks great! It was torture looking at all of that aluminum but waiting on the rest of the kit to arrive! Good luck! How do you plan on attaching the router to the table?

It will be even more torture when I am out of town knowing it is sitting at a UPS facility waiting for me to come and get it.

I had not thought about mounting it to the table. Now that you mention it, it makes sense. No idea why I never thought about it. I guess I should do some research. Any pointers before so begin?

-Eric

I think the aluminum corner brackets from CNCRP would probably work well for that. I basically made the same thing but with slots so I could fine tune the positioning.

What is the width of your table?

Mine is 49" wide x 112" long.

Page 1 of 4 123