586,058 active members*
4,432 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 4 1234

Re: Fanuc 0M Gcode file size?

101 means 'clear memory'
    that happened because you turned the power off while it was doing something in the memory.
    to clear it....
    1) Set PWE = 1
    2) Power Down
    3) Press and hold "Delete" Key
    4) Power up the control
    5) Part programs will be deleted (parameters and everything else will remain the same)

Another manual says 'press program and then reset together'
    it will do the same thing, just delete all programs in memory.

now power-cycle the machine. the alarms should not come up again. if they do something else is suspect.
    the punch/read softkeys are accessed by pressing the right-most arrow key. My guess is you did not press right to get to the correct menu.

Heavy Metal,

I am trying to check everything before I buy. That is what I am trying right now. The cost of repair is what scares me. I am not paying much for the machine as it sets but if it does not work it is worth nothing. If I have to pay 5K to get it running then I don't want it. If the Fanuc controls don't work I can convert this machine over to Mach for about 1.5K. I am sure it will not operate as fast on xyz travels but I can make it work.

Fordav11,

We were able to clear the 101 alarm by using the procedure outlined in the manual and as you posted. After the 101 alarm was cleared and we powered down again the 401 alarm also cleared. Do you think the 401 was a result of the 101?

I tried the right and left arrow softkeys below the CRT to access the softkey menus but I had no luck. Is there a parameter that would block the softkeys. If anyone would like I can PM you the parameter list for review. Maybe something is wrong in the parameters and I don't know what to look for.

Thanks again guys.

Hi Nitro,

You don't need soft keys on a 0M to transfer programs, to receive on CNC just type Oxxxx [INPUT] and send from pc-side.
    To transmit from CNC to PC; first receive on PC-side then Oxxxx [ OUTPUT] on CNC-side.

Regards,
    Heavy_Metal

attachment;
    -----------------
    Fanuc 0M - Operator's manual
    Fanuc 0M - Parameter manual
    Fanuc 0M - Hardware Connection manual
    Fanuc 0M - key pad

Heavy Metal,

Thanks, for the information.

I was able to get the LSK flashing last night. I then tried to send a program from the PC using dnc4u demo mode. dnc4u showed the file transferring to completion however the LSK never quit blinking. We could not get the Fanuc to stop LSK from blinking so that is when we powered down and got the 101 error. I will not do that again. You learn the most from mistakes.

So with all of this I assumed that the issue was with the fact that I did not have soft keys. I had a program already open on the Fanuc maybe that was the problem. I will try again going to an empty program first as you say by entering Oxxxx [INPUT] first.

Time for round 3 with the machine. Thanks again for the advice. Trying to learn when the machine is 40 miles away is difficult.

Also the software version on the start up screen is 0402-06

So after round 3 we were able to get the soft keys working. We still could not upload a program to the CNC from the pc. I would go into edit mode select the program button enter a new program number O00005 and press input. Then lsk would flash in the lower right corner of the crt. i would start the upload from the pc. It would complete the upload and the CNC would continue to flash lsk continuously. I would have to cancel the upload process. This was tried with many options on the pc side with no avail.

When the upload is happening does the cnc show any information about the upload?

I was able to download the parameter list again. i was also able to download a simple program from the CNC to the pc.

I decided to go ahead and pay the down payment on the machine so I will own it. Once I get it home I will be able to diagnose it easier.

does the first line in the program need to be
    %

or
    %#0A

I tried to upload the same program that I downloaded. It started and ended with %.

% sign used to be used to turn on/off the tape reader.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

it appears you did not initially download and read the attachment that Al put up in post#8 (31st March)
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/fanuc/...ml#post1676364
    That has all the instructions needed to input/output programs and parameters from the 0-series, including the use of the INPUT and OUTPUT keys on the panel.
    I'm not familiar with all of the 0-series controls and their differences (nowadays I'm predominantly a 15/16/18/21 guy) but as far as I know there should be an I/O softkey item on the menu, then a read softkey so you may want to investigate that too (see the attached pic from the 0-series doc Al posted above)

if you can send parameters and a program from CNC to PC then the machine is likely working fine in all aspects of RS232 and your transfer cable is probably also good but you should double check the wiring to make sure you have the TX and RX wires correct. Obviously the TX wires are ok because you can transfer from CNC to PC, but the RX connections may have an issue.

When the CNC receives the program, normally the program number at the top right of the screen will change to show the Oxxxx program number that is being received and on the bottom of the screen you will see a flashing READ.

There are some parameters for baud/stop bits/data bits, parity etc. I think on the 0-series some of those are fixed (stop bits/data bits) and you can only change a couple via parameters. are you 100% sure you have set the PC software to the same settings as the CNC?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  

Fordav,

I have read that document probably 1000 times as well as the section in the book about uploading a program to the machine. I have scoured the document looking for something that I am missing. I think that I have everything correct. I will check my cable once more to make sure I have continuity on the tx line.

I did get the soft keys working in general on the machine however I still don't have the IO softkey in the "Edit" "Program" menu I have "Program" softkey and If I push the right arrow I get a background edit softkey.

I will not be able to troubleshoot the machine until I get it installed in my garage. It will probably be next weekend before that happens.

One thing to note is that on my DB 25 connector on my patch cable the last 8 pins are jumpered together. Should I disconnect these jumpers and just jumper pin 20 as shown in the diagram.

I will keep you guys updated.

I use the three wire cable with 4-5, 6-8-20 jumpered on the 25 pin.
    If using a USB/RS232 convertor on the PC end, they all are not reliable, some are said to have problems.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I am using an older laptop that has a built in serial port. I have a usb-rs232 converter on order and I will try it when I get the machine home.

I also have some new db9 and db25 connectors to make a custom patch cable. I will also try removing the jumper from pins 18 to 25 on the db25 connector cable that I am currently using.

the older laptop with built in serial port is a better way to go.
    the next step after checking your cable (or fixing it if it is wrong) would be to buy that RS232 tester I mentioned above and check the ports on the CNC and PC to see that they are working correctly. You can't really diagnose RS232 hardware faults without a port tester.

I will get the port tester coming so that when the machine gets here I can check as many things as possible.

We moved the machine to my shop this weekend. Spent some time hooking it up and troubleshooting some problems after the move. Had a wire come loose from the servo controller.

I hooked up the PC to the CNC last night with the updated cable with the three wire connection as shown in Al's document. I was again able to punch out the parameters list from the CNC to the PC but not able to load a program from the PC to the CNC.

Since I can punch out the settings on the serial port are good. I ran the transfer with the port tester per fordav11's suggestion. The lights on the port tester seem to indicate that everything is working. When I set the CNC to receive the program LSK flashes. I set the PC to transmit. It does it's thing and the CNC is still setting there with LSK flashing.

I have found out for sure that this is actually a General Numeric Fanuc OMA. I guess that means that drip feeding is out no matter what.

Also I don't see port M74 on the board so I can't change from M5 to M74 to try the other serial port.

On the original post topic I see that the board has some sort of memory upgrade. The chips say ""Zero" A Memory Upgrade PEIMAN CONTROL ELECTRONICS LTD." Do I have more memory than factory? What should I try parameter wise?

when you transmit from PC to CNC the TX and RX leds should flash as data is sent and received. do they?
    take a photo of the port tester just as you press send on the PC. just because it appears to be working does not mean it is. certain leds must be lit and some have to be high (red) and some low (green). or take a video if you can.

yes you have more memory than normal. check the program directory screen, it will show how many characters are free.

Thanks,

I will do a video tonight.

I tried looking at the memory value in the program library but I cannot get to the library. I don't have a LIB softkey in the program menu. Any ideas on this one?

Here are my first video from last night.

First one shows my settings in NCNetLite.

Second one shows the process for transferring the file and the leds on the port tester.

I tried it with the older laptop with the built in serial port and the new laptop with the USB to RS232 adapter and both had the same results. I am wondering if I need to replace the RS232 receiver chip on the main circuit board.

Page 2 of 4 1234