586,043 active members*
3,661 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > Weird PP networking behavior? Works when client is wired but not on wifi?

Weird PP networking behavior? Works when client is wired but not on wifi?

So... I have my PP networked but have noticed that my CAD/CAM machine (a Mac) will only see the PP samba share when it is hardwired into the network. If I am on wifi it won't see it at all even though the mac and PP are on the same WiFi net?

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Re: Weird PP networking behavior? Works when client is wired but not on wifi?

I'm on a mac, wireless, I can see the share, but cannot connect to it at all. I go into windows via parallels and can connect fine.
    So I have wrote it off to something strange with the mac connection method or something. If you get any further with the Mac I would be interested.
    Donald

Are you using the Tormach USB wifi adapter?

I tried a few others I had lying around with PathPilot (Ubuntu 10.04) and did not have luck getting them to connect. This was outside of the PathPilot application when booted into Gnome and configuring both through the GUI and the terminal. After ordering a similar $10 USB nic to what Tormach sells, everything works perfect with no special configuration and acquired a DHCP lease almost immediately.

I am, but even if I were not, that should not be the problem, should it? Remember my issue is on the mac side, not the controller side.

Quote Originally Posted by jcposada View Post
    I am, but even if I were not, that should not be the problem, should it? Remember my issue is on the mac side, not the controller side.
    I wouldn't think it would be on the Mac side since it works with an ethernet cable and not a USB wifi nic. If it were truly on the Mac side, the Mac wouldn't care what type of network connection the TMC had. From the Mac's perspective, the TMC is just an IP address out on the network regardless of connection type.

I would begin by checking your DHCP server (probably your wifi router) to print a list of all clients connected. Check to make sure the TMC is actually connected to the access point (router) and has acquired an IP address lease (usually on a status page on your router).

I believe this is also a method to check the status from inside of PathPilot, but I won't be able to check until tonight.

Another possibility is that on your router you have blocked traffic between WiFi connected devices. I believe that blocking is the default mode for Draytek (and probably many other brands) of routers.