586,082 active members*
3,772 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mastercam X5 Guitar help

I'm working on Mastercam X5 and I'm doing a lot of work in 2D....so I bought a Solids manual and I'm still unsure how to surface cut.
    For example. on a Strat body, there's the little arm relief on the top and the back hip relief cut.
    I just cant figure out how to draw and and what tool paths to use. Sounds simple, stupid? I just figure it out.

So I have tons of Tele, Strat files/..... I make templates on a bunch of Fender shapes, but to complete my passion for machining these body's, I need to learn the surfacing.
    Also.......NECKS..... The radius fret board, the back side of the neck.

Can anyone direct me?

Rob

Re: Mastercam X5 Guitar help

You will need to use surfaces not solids to machine the 3d areas. You can convert your solids to surfaces so no need to redraw anything. It's under the create menu surfaces tab. Once you get it converted to surfaces you can use the surface toolpaths to machine those areas. Trace a profile around the area you want to machine to use it as a boundary. Start with surface rough pocket and select your surface and boundary. To start it will say select your surface. Make sure the shaded button is on and click the surfaces you want to machine. They will change color indicating they have been selected. Then hit enter. A menu will pop up under drive it will show how many surfaces you selected. The hit the containment pointer and select the boundary. When you check out of that it will bring up your tool and machining parameters. Pick a tool and select your needed options just like 2d machining. When you check out of that screen it should compute your toolpath. Then following basically the same steps do a surface finish scallop toolpath.

Once you can get it to create those toolpaths you can ask questions about any parameters your unsure about. Also any issues with the way it runs the paths.

Ben

Re: Mastercam X5 Guitar help

leaving them as solids would be better as they would be easier to modify imo. you can select any solid on a surface toolpath by activating solid selection. try an opti core path for roughing selecting your solid and then your mtl boundary and then finish with a hybrid.