586,688 active members*
2,801 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Modeling body parts

Question Modeling body parts

OK. I have done several of the Rhino Tutorials and I am trying to figure out the best way to model the top half of a body, minus the arms. A sculpture of sorts that I wish to build.

Should I start like I did with the duck and manipulate control points? Should I sketch two views by hand and then try to loft? Should I try some rail outlines and some revolves? I am not great at Rhino, but I can make my way around a 4 view and follow directions....

Also, if you are making say horns, would you suggest making the curves and then rail revolving. Because, correct me if I am wrong, once you extrude a shape, you can't turn on the control points and deform the ends or bend them, can you?
    "Craft is What I do All Day. Art is what I have at the end of it" Jean Weller

If you aren't on a financial deadline, try them all. That is the quickest way to learn how a function works applied to your design. My problem has been that I have always needed to make money with Rhino just so I could keep coming here to see what you guys are doind next!

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Also, if you are making say horns, would you suggest making the curves and then rail revolving. Because, correct me if I am wrong, once you extrude a shape, you can't turn on the control points and deform the ends or bend them, can you?
    Yes you can, if the object you're trying to manipulate is a single surface (in V3). With the right input, your rail revolve or sweep or loft will be a single surface.

In V4, you can also adjust the input curves in many cases and have the output surface(s) update to match (History); or use UDT to transform polysurface objects. Unfortunately, History is not currently enabled for Sweep 1 or 2.

I would start with a shape that roughly resembles what you want and then use control point editing to push it where you want it. But it's difficult to model a body. There must be some tutorials out there. The hardest part are Y joints like the crotch. That cannot be made with a single surface. --ch