586,042 active members*
3,668 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > problem with depth in v carve

problem with depth in v carve

hi guys , and tony

totally enjoying v carve but have run into an issue

i am trying to make a harley sign for myself(not selling)

its keeps cutting the harley lettering in the center and dates to big

it doesnt look like the preview, so i figured i must have the bit wrong, dimension wise but it is a 1/2 inch 90 degree v bit

i have tried it 2 times with the same results, any advice???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails harley prob1.JPG   harley prob2.JPG   harleyprob3.JPG   harley.bmp  

In the bitmap pic you have the letters engraved...on your work you have the lettering v-carved with a pocket cut.
    I ran the same file and selected the lettering and the closed vector surrounding it and came up with the same as your work.
    But the lettering was the exact height and width as my original eps file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ScreenHunter_1.jpg   ScreenHunter_2.jpg  
    Aspire, VCPro, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D, Mach3, Home built CnC.

Hi Tim,

I'm guessing you want the top of the lettering to retain the orange / red colour but this is being machined away by the cutter?

Check that following,

Z 0 setting for the cutter must be exactly on the material surface.

Make sure there are no Z Length offsets applied to the Tool number being used in the control software ie Mach3.

Is the cutter pointed or is there a small flat on the tip?
    If there is a flat and you program the toolpath using a VBit cutter in the software the toolpath will overcut.

If there's a small flat you need to specify the cutter as an Engraving Tool and enter the approximate Flat diameter.

If you still have a problem with this please e-mail the file to - [email protected]

Tony

thanks for the replies

im still a tad confused here,

if i have the bit info correct in v carve and the preveiw looks the way i posted, why would it not cut the same way??

i understand what you did on yuor image but the problem i am having is that my preview image as not machining the same way, or atleast i think its not, i mean it should look pretty much like the preview right?

i am using mach3

the red is just old vinyl from a buddy of mine for paint mask, the think i dont get is if i make the depth form .1 and then change it to .05 the preview changes but when i machine it it doesnt seem to make much difference, i am gonna try again today.

any more input would be great, when i get to the shop i will post the g-code

Tim,

Can you confirm whether the cutter you are using has a small flat on the bottom or is it really sharp pointed? Maybe post a picture of the tool.

If you are selecting a 90 V-Bit (pointed) in the software but actually cutting with a Flat Tipped bit you will overcut the design.

Tony

hi tony

first i would like to say great software, and i have never had such great service after purchase( well mach 3's service rules to).

ok checked bit and will post picture

the bit is a half in wide v bit with no flat spot

i checked my machine with i micrometer (incase my steps are off) but everything checks out within 2 thousands of an inch.

i will post the g code also if needed, it is a big file and i only want to post it if it is really needed.

it just seems to be cutting too deep, as in the v is going to far compared to the preview in v carve

anything i can do to help let me know/ i have a hunk of maple i want to cut this on but until i can get it right on mdf i am leary

thanks again

tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails v bit.JPG  

Hi Tim,

Long shot - you don't have a Start Depth set in VCarve Pro?

Can you measure the depth to the machined pocket surface - is this as specified in the software?

Can you e-mail the VCPro file and CNC code to - [email protected]

Tony

Is the profile cut on the 100 for example using a straight cut bit or a V-bit in VCarve Pro? In your preview image, it doesn't appear that the 100 is cut with a V-Bit, but it is difficult to say from the image. And is the pocket cut also using a straight cut or V-bit?