586,069 active members*
3,629 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > VFD Go larger than the spindle rating?

VFD Go larger than the spindle rating?

OK, so I've purchased a CNC PRO 4848, there NEMA 23 plug and play controller and am setting back while the boxes of parts collect.
    Unless some thing drastic changes I plan on getting this spindle and possibly 2.2 KW VFD... So one question that comes to mind is this, any reason to have the VFD sized to handle a larger watt rated motor? Or is it pretty much the standard that you go with a matched spindle /VFD and call it good?

Another question, this is my first CNC router and I see that Mach3 can control spindle speed in the software ( if I understand what I'm looking at right now ) via the VFD. Is the VFD connected to directly the PC or to the PC via the controller?

From reading on the net I also understand that the Hitachi brand of VFD is an ideal brand to go with. Better than the KL-VFD03?

Thanks for any input..

Re: VFD Go larger than the spindle rating?

I would say that in my experience, the closer to the rated duty cycle of an inverter or transformer you get, the less efficient they are (i.e. more energy wasted in the form of heat). My suggestion would be to get an inverter that is rated to provide output at 125% of what your motor requires. That's a somewhat arbitrary guideline based on the assumption that most manufacturers underrate their products by about 10-20% of their actual capacity before failing...but running at 50% duty cycle is going to be preferable to running at 80-100% any day.

Just about everyone I've seen running 2.2Kw chinese spindles is using a 2.2Kw or 3HP VFD.
    Most use either the Hitachi VFD or ones similar to this: 2.2KW (3HP) VFD Spindle Inverter (KL-VFD22) 220VAC input | Automation Technology Inc

I've never seen anyone using the specific VFD you linked to. I would expect the Hitachi to at least be a lot more reliable than a generic chinese model.

Another question, this is my first CNC router and I see that Mach3 can control spindle speed in the software ( if I understand what I'm looking at right now ) via the VFD. Is the VFD connected to directly the PC or to the PC via the controller?
    What are you calling the "controller"?

VFD's can usually be controlled by a 0-10V control voltage, or by using Modbus.
    Mach3 can send out a PWM signal, which can be converted to the 0-10V signal with external hardware.
    Some use Modbus with Mach3 using Mach3's Brains, or a VFD plugin. There are two plugins (that I know of) available for the VFD's that are similar to the one I linked to.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post

What are you calling the "controller"?
    Yeah, good point. Terminology gets a little messy in my mind.
    I meant this nifty metal box... I talked with the folks at CNCRP early today. If I understand right the VFD gets wired to a spot in side the "nifty metal box" and from that point on the connection to the PC parallel port covers running the spindle speed and what ever the CNC movement is.

You'll need to ask them if it already has the components to send the 0-10V to the spindle (plus a relay for start and stop), or if you need to add that yourself.
    They don't tell you a lot, and there doesn't seem to be a manual for it??
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You'll need to ask them if it already has the components to send the 0-10V to the spindle (plus a relay for start and stop), or if you need to add that yourself.
    They don't tell you a lot, and there doesn't seem to be a manual for it??
    From what I understand they shipped me the next generation "nifty metal box", having more features than listed on the web site. Depending on how I go on spindles and VFD, they will provide hook up details as needed. As for a manual, I did not see one in the shipping crate, but I did not rip everything limb from limb looking for one either.

I would go for a bit larger VFD, and then change the parameters so that its max output current matches the motor's.

Hub
    Current build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/264838-new-machine-desing-quot-cnm13-quot.html

Gerry,

Sorry to butt in here, but saw your post on this subject while reading up on VFD. Received your 2010 Screen set today and will install it once my machine is completely working. Was hoping that would be tonight. With that said, you seem to be pretty informed with Mach3 and various methods of connection. I am lost on connecting my spindle. I am not in too bad of shape because I'm not building this machine from scratch, it is a retrofit so power, sensors, safety features and spindle are still as wired. And yes, it did work perfectly with previous controller. But have no connection information otherwise. Have all axis' connected and working now. Along with safety system etc...

My problem is that I have no idea what the terminology for my spindle controller is or how to properly control it with what I am using.
    Is it a PWM, A VSD or a VFD?
    Is it a RUN/DIRECTION or FORWARD/REVERSE?
    Is my wiring diagram correct?

Here is what I have....

- PC/Mach3
    - ESS Smooth Stepper
    - PMDX-126 Breakout board
    - PMDX-107 Spindle Control daughter board.
    [MANUAL ATTACHED]
    - FUJI / GE AF-300E$ Drive
    [MANUAL ATTACHED]
    - Colombo 10hp 24k spindle

I did get some wiring advice for the PMDX-107 [WIRING DIAGRAM ATTACHED], but feel it may be wrong because nothing happens when I do a '30 second hold & release' of the TEST button.
    Because of the wiring advice, I set the DIP switch (According to figure #3 on page 8 of PMDX-107 install manual) The manual also specifies a PWM, VSD & VFD but only shows wiring diagram for VSD.

Help from ANYONE would also be greatly appreciated!

Your 2010 Screen Set looks awesome by the way!

~John