586,065 active members*
4,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Is it possible to increase max spindle speed on an Okuma V100R with the door open?

Question Is it possible to increase max spindle speed on an Okuma V100R with the door open?

I recently started a new job running an Okuma V100R and when I try to start the spindle in MDI with the door open, that max speed is only about 45-50 RPM. Anything higher and I get the door interlock alarm. Is there a parameter that can be changed or something else that can be done without disabling the door interlock to get more speed? The vertical that I ran at my previous job you could get a lot more RPM for polishing face grooves and such. The guy that ran it before me abruptly quit and took his secrets with him and nobody knows how he did it.

Re: Is it possible to increase max spindle speed on an Okuma V100R with the door open

if it's programmed correctly polishing is not required. in fact all burrs and bad finishes can be completely avoided with the correct approach. hence there really is no need to run the machine with the door open.
    regardless, yes there is a parameter that can set the max speed, though it is still limited to 150RPM or whatever is set by the factory maximum (which is undocumented)
    the parameter depends on the model of control.
    which control do you have?

Re: Is it possible to increase max spindle speed on an Okuma V100R with the door open

I don't have a problem with burrs or when I'm running stainless. It's when I run carbon steel. I get slight tool marks in the bottom of o-ring grooves and it has to be a decent finish for sealing purposes. The control is a Fanuc 31i. 150 RPM would be much better to hit the bottom of the groove with some emory just to clean it up a bit.

try running the speed faster if your finish is poor

The control is a Fanuc 31i.

You might also try a dwell in the bottom of your groove to improve finish. I agree with fordav its always better to avoid having to sand and polish

Spindle with door open is going to be a function of the ladder on that control, I'd bet everyone thought you had an okuma control.

That is what we figured. I figured I ask before we get that involved.

ah yes Fanuc. you're probably screwed.
    in that case just cheat.
    remove the door lock 'key' piece and put it into the lock. door is now locked and open.
    if you want to be creative make a key so you can insert it into the lock and leave the original alone.
    but ask yourself, is your life worth less than a bit of metal with a groove in it? probably not.
    I'm sure your machine is worth several hundred thousand dollars and likely very capable of doing any required task to high standards.....in fact every CNC machine (even old piece of junk) can do things better than a mere human. smarter way is figure out the machining problem and solve it so you don't have to do manual work and risk injury/death.