586,106 active members*
2,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Syntec 6MB Toll Setter

I have a Chinese CNC router with ATC and a Syntec 6MB controller. I would like to install and auto Z-depth gauge such as the Tormach 31875 (other options available). I believe they all work the same way by sending an input signal to the PLC once the tools makes contact. I have also read G31 command on the Syntec manual. It is supposed to send a signal to the Ladder C Bit "when the machine runs into impede and gets a skip signal"....I am not sure how this works. I tried to impede the z axis movement doing a G31 command at a feed rate of 4 in/min using soft mdf and did not see any change on the C bit screen....I am very frustrated with this Syntec Controller. They appear very solid but the documentation and lack of tech support in the US makes me not recommend it for future CNC buyers.

Anyway, a lot of detail for my question, but I hope someone can give me some pointers as to how to hook up a tool setter into the 6MB controller. Also, will the PLC ladder need modification? Please help. There are several examples on the MACH3 in youtube, but nothing on the Syntec. I have written Syntec but have not received any response so far.

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

Re: Syntec 6MB Toll Setter

I have a 6MA syntec machine, it came from the factory with an 8 tool carousel ATC with auto tool measuring . A lot of the syntec information as I am aware seems to go direct to the factories and the manuals are converted to english, they seem to be a bit cagey about sharing the sort of information on parameters, most of what I have discovered I have found out though reading the list of 5000 odd parameters that it has. I wish you the best of luck but personally I wouldn't want to attempt it

Cheers
    Lee

One thing you might try is looking on Elance for someone that speaks/writes the language and understands (enough of) what you want to do. Make sure you are REALLY clear though, diagrams, etc. I have a strong feeling that emailing syntec in their native tongue would open up a lot of support but I could be wrong.

I have an old employee that fits the bill....I can't pass on his information though unfortunately....but he's always been in my "If I buy the syntec machine and really need help" pocket as his family is from Taiwan and he ran my cnc for a few years. But, I sort of agree with Lee that you might be a little too ambitious.

Greg

Thanks. The problem that I have is that the literature on these controllers is very poor. Thanks for your help anyway.

Thank you Greg. Feel free to give my phone number to your guy if he is interested in some freelance. 956-three-six-one-5 2 zero zero x11. Thanks.

Eduardo

To be fair what you are actually asking for is the manufacturers setup and install parameters and as this is proprietary information you might be hard pressed to find it. I can tell you that the Z location for the information stored on my syntec 6MA goes to the aux coordinate as well as the particular tool position. I can also tell you there is a parameter that is set for the tool sensor height to table. It uses this to determine the difference in each tool height. Then in your GCode G43 commands are used that contain a H that references the tool offset from the table ie: G43 H2. I think you have to remember that Syntec is a commercial product designed for manufacturers to work with their machines, where as Mach3 is more open source originally designed with the hobbiest in mind and now expanding to the commercial sector. I think your best bet for getting it all to work would be to go to the company that you purchased the Chinese made CNC from and ask if they will give you the information. If they produce a machine that has this feature it shouldn't be a big ask I know Ellie from XYZ would help me if I asked. I don't have a wiring diagram for my machine so I can't really give you any other information as far as that side goes

Cheers
    Lee

Ok this may be way too late but now that I've poked around a fair bit I have some added guidance.

Basically it may not be possible (without modification) on your machine unless it shipped with a tool touch off (TTO) sensor already. On mine (with a sensor) I think it might be easier as I already have a relay that is signalling when the TTO sensor trips and I could likely use that to set up a new one (with some parameter changes I'm sure). The syntec seem capable of different TTO sensors as I know Lee's is different than mine. However if none is set up now then they very very likely do not have it set up in the i/o ports or in the plc ladder. It should be possible to edit the PLC ladder file to enable it but I would suggest rotech do it. You might even offer to buy a TTO sensor from them if they can update the controller to use it and then attempt to change it out if you don't like it.

I just has some m-codes added to the PLC ladder for buttons that were set up on the console but not in m-code and all I had to do (eventually) was send the vendor my back up files and they sent me back a new cnc.lad PLC ladder file (which I restored on the machine). They did it in under an hour once convinced to do it.

So its possible but I found it helped a lot when I knew what I wanted and how it had to be done (as up until then they had said it wasn't possible - which I knew to be untrue, just lazy).

I plan to attempt to edit the PLC ladder in the future with OPENPLC (which is I think what syntec uses) but that's way in the future at the moment.
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...