586,636 active members*
3,042 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Manual milling?

I just got a CNC and playing with Mach3 trial. I don't have CAM software yet.
    In the meantime, I'm wondering if I can mill out something manually. Like jogging around, but able to manually input a travelling distance from a given point, then having the machine somehow execute to that specific point. Hmmmmm. Looks like I can set distances in "Machine Coord's", but...where's the "go to" button?! haha

Grateful for specific directions. I'm very new to this.

Just got a 4-axis 3040 from you know where, for 780. I make little money, so that was a biggie for me. All the 4-axis CAM software is expensive, like depressing expensive, so it will be some time before getting that. My brain is fried from looking for a free 4-axis prog. I give up. Will just wait it out... Just playing with Mach3, Sketchup and its CAM plugin now, haha, but...that's what's up here, anyway.

Thanks

Re: Manual milling?

You need to learn the basic G-codes and M-commands then write a simple program in Notepad and load it into Mach 3.
    Or, use the MDI window and enter appropriate commands one at a time manually.
    But I'd recommend not to try such things until you are relatively familiar with the Mach3 and machine control.
    Yep, requires reading and learning. Not like you plug a printer to the PC and start printing.

Reading and learning?! Wow, forget it then!

Communicating specific paths with Mach3 is only by way of g-code, then. OK, no probs, whatever. It would be nice, though, if one could simply enter actual numbers to designate coordinates to travel to, yeah?

Playing around..., with Cycle Jog Step at .0001 in Step Mode, and jog rate set at .1%, I can make a jog from .000 to .001. weeeeeeeee... Changing Cycle Jog Step to 1.0000, 0.1000, 0.0100, 0.0010, 0.0001, depending on how far you need to travel; to avoid having to click the button 10,000 times to travel an inch, that is. OK!...Jog Milling is looking somewhat promising. G-code...pffffffffffff.

Thanks for the reply, Dragonfly.

Quote Originally Posted by spacetorque View Post
    Reading and learning?! Wow, forget it then!

Communicating specific paths with Mach3 is only by way of g-code, then. OK, no probs, whatever. It would be nice, though, if one could simply enter actual numbers to designate coordinates to travel to, yeah?

Playing around..., with Cycle Jog Step at .0001 in Step Mode, and jog rate set at .1%, I can make a jog from .000 to .001. weeeeeeeee... Changing Cycle Jog Step to 1.0000, 0.1000, 0.0100, 0.0010, 0.0001, depending on how far you need to travel; to avoid having to click the button 10,000 times to travel an inch, that is. OK!...Jog Milling is looking somewhat promising. G-code...pffffffffffff.

Thanks for the reply, Dragonfly.
    For simple moves you can:
    For example, to do a move just enter in the MDI: G1 X10
    it will move the x-axis to 10 units (inch or mm).
    Remember to set the feed rate manually or in the command, for example G1 X5 F10
    (Feed 10 units/min)
    If you want rapid change G1 to G0...
    Hub
    Current build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/264838-new-machine-desing-quot-cnm13-quot.html

Quote Originally Posted by hub View Post
    For simple moves you can:
    For example, to do a move just enter in the MDI: G1 X10
    it will move the x-axis to 10 units (inch or mm).
    Remember to set the feed rate manually or in the command, for example G1 X5 F10
    (Feed 10 units/min)
    If you want rapid change G1 to G0...
    Hub
    Indeed... I should be free-milling MDI style soon enough... Tubing for g-code/MDI tutorials and, who knew, not so difficult That is, for anything not involving curves, hahaha. What I'm designing, though, is all straight lines and holes/circles, mostly. If I can get my noodle around how circles and holes are g-coded, I should be set for a long while.... I've been designing motors and generators for about 15 years; just got thoroughly sick of trying to arrive at the much needed precision in the parts, with all my wobbling flea-market apparatus and magnifying glasses, so bite the bullet and hope for the best with this high quality"" CNC.... Got a CNC coil winding mach about 10 years ago---no g-code; just a plethora of parameters to set; can't live without it.... Gawd I'm yappy!

Thanks, Hub

Indeed... I should be free-milling MDI style soon enough... Tubing for g-code/MDI tutorials and, who knew, not so difficult That is, for anything not involving curves, hahaha. What I'm designing, though, is all straight lines and holes/circles, mostly. If I can get my noodle around how circles and holes are g-coded, I should be set for a long while.... I've been designing motors and generators for about 15 years; just got thoroughly sick of trying to arrive at the much needed precision in the parts, with all my wobbling flea-market apparatus and magnifying glasses, so bite the bullet and hope for the best with this high quality"" CNC.... Got a CNC coil winding mach about 10 years ago---no g-code; just a plethora of parameters to set; can't live without it.... Gawd I'm yappy!

Thanks, Hub
    Circles & arcs are simple. G2 & G3.
    Doing a quick search I found this: G-Code Tutorial: Arcs With G02 and G03

Hub
    Current build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/264838-new-machine-desing-quot-cnm13-quot.html

Quote Originally Posted by hub View Post
    Circles & arcs are simple. G2 & G3.
    Doing a quick search I found this: G-Code Tutorial: Arcs With G02 and G03

Hub

Brilliant!, thanks very much for that
    Have bookmarked and will be going through it thoroughly.
    Presently testing alignment and such, especially the 4th axis, rotary. Really-REALLY! pleased with how precise it is! Mounted an acrylic tube in the 'A' chuck, tube tested spot on in rotation; set a mini diamond-point bit in, loosened and set upon the tube, then tightened; plunged bit .01 with jog, ran it along the tube. It made a finely engraved line all the way, end to end, and I'm doing flips
    Testing MDI commands to establish accuracy..., not so successful as yet. Just started doing this about 1/2-hour ago, so...I'm seeing override of commands. Jogged Z bit to engraved Y line just made, for approximate reference; entered G91 G0 A90 and...I think I need to set mach3 to process degrees. [ edit here to enter the following: errrm, happen to know how to set Mach3 to execute Degree commands? *red face* Yeah, it's like I have diapers on over here lol... end edit ] Entered A.9 (with decimal in there) and seemed to go a quarter, but entered 4 times it overshot the starting point about 10 degrees.... Anyway, that's where I'm at. Will be searching here for setting up A axis now... G91 G0 A90 <-- first MDI line ever, for the record :P

For manual milling, I always had good success using a Shuttle Express devise. You might also look at the wizards, although I don't know if they work in demo mode.

Brilliant!, thanks very much for that
    Have bookmarked and will be going through it thoroughly.
    Presently testing alignment and such, especially the 4th axis, rotary. Really-REALLY! pleased with how precise it is! Mounted an acrylic tube in the 'A' chuck, tube tested spot on in rotation; set a mini diamond-point bit in, loosened and set upon the tube, then tightened; plunged bit .01 with jog, ran it along the tube. It made a finely engraved line all the way, end to end, and I'm doing flips
    Testing MDI commands to establish accuracy..., not so successful as yet. Just started doing this about 1/2-hour ago, so...I'm seeing override of commands. Jogged Z bit to engraved Y line just made, for approximate reference; entered G91 G0 A90 and...I think I need to set mach3 to process degrees. [ edit here to enter the following: errrm, happen to know how to set Mach3 to execute Degree commands? *red face* Yeah, it's like I have diapers on over here lol... end edit ] Entered A.9 (with decimal in there) and seemed to go a quarter, but entered 4 times it overshot the starting point about 10 degrees.... Anyway, that's where I'm at. Will be searching here for setting up A axis now... G91 G0 A90 <-- first MDI line ever, for the record :P
    You're on the right track I don't have MAch3 on this computer, but if I remember correctly there is a setting in Mach3 to set an axis to rotary (degrees). Just a check box to click

Oh, dead easy to do. Switch to the MDI screen and type in commands.
    Um ... do remember that if you type in g0 x20 when you really meant g1 x20, your best result will just be a broken cutter and a wrecked job.

Better by far is to use the wizards or (even better), learn how to program g-code.

Cheers