586,080 active members*
3,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCAD v28 Next Build release date to fix crashes ?
Page 1 of 5 123

BobCAD v28 Next Build release date to fix crashes ?

Our dearest BobCAD, I hope this message finds you well. I can't take it anymore. For me personally, this bug of not being able to edit the stock without a crash is getting on my nerves. I know there is a work around but it can get tedious. I'm working on a multi sided part. I'm a bit weak with regards to setting the origins so I have to go in and make changes frequently till I get it right. If I mistakenly forget to do the workaround, CRASH! Work gone.

I found another crash bug when doing a fillet on a solid but due to the current work I'm doing, that one doesn't affect me so much as the edit stock bug.

Could you please give us an approximate date on a new build.

Thanks for your time.

Re: BobCAD v28 Next Build release date to fix crashes ?

I would use a separate file for each time you move the part.
    Copy/Paste/translate/rotate

Its been around since at least v27, maybe longer? Maybe its worse then it was in v27 though? The worst is when you go to right click the first feature to edit it, but right click on the machine setup instead... I've lost quite a bit of time from making that mistake, as I only feel the need to save if I am going to edit the machine setup.

My current workflow is to start the setup, and select my first origin point. I will then add the machine features I need on the first side, sketch in my other origins if I know what they are. And add how ever many machine setups I need. Then I save, and close out the program. Reopen it, and edit the rest of the machine setups.

Speaking of making edits and changes, I would like to see bobcad retain my top of feature and depth of cut when I reselect geometry, often adding a hole I forgot to select, or changing the size of the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    I would use a separate file for each time you move the part.
    Copy/Paste/translate/rotate

Thanks Rob. That's what I'm thinking of doing for now. Rather than doing separate Machine Setups for each part side.

On a side note, I talked Al from BobCAD on the phone a few weeks ago and he said the issue was fixed. Even if just the one bug is fixed, I wish they would release the build and then fix other bugs problems in later builds. I will cease future business If I have to buy V29 just to clean up bugs. Major releases shouldn't be for bug fixes. They are for new features.

Please just release what you have BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotax91 View Post
    Thanks Rob.

They call me "JR" for short

:banana::banana::banana:

BTW,I always use a separate file for each operation,,,,I prefer it.
    I also have never crashed as you and Mike are explaining,,,maybe just dumb luck? Fingers crossed,knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotax91 View Post
    Thanks Rob. That's what I'm thinking of doing for now. Rather than doing separate Machine Setups for each part side.

On a side note, I talked Al from BobCAD on the phone a few weeks ago and he said the issue was fixed. Even if just the one bug is fixed, I wish they would release the build and then fix other bugs problems in later builds. I will cease future business If I have to buy V29 just to clean up bugs. Major releases shouldn't be for bug fixes. They are for new features.

Please just release what you have BC.
    Do you have a support package that includes updates ? (I don`t mean upgrades), if not then you don`t get any new build of V28, the build updates are no longer free so unfortunately you will need to buy again somewhere along the line.

Back on topic, I personally have only suffered the crashing when trying to edit stock in V28, V26 and V27 have been OK on that score

FYI "jrmach" is James or "jr" for short, Rob would be me

FWIW I have skipped buying V27 and V28, V26 may not have all the "bells and whistles" but it is a pretty stable version

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Sorry. JR... I don't know why I said Rob. Probably because he was in a different post.

Hello Everyone,

There will be an update to the V28 software well before V29 is ever released, more likely more than 1 update. Typically what the development team does is handle multiple issues at a time before an update is released. There are a number of reasons why this is done, so you'll have to trust me this is a good thing. Updates aren't always just bug fixes, many times there are new features that are added to the software as well. I am not sure when the first update for the V28 will be released, but I am sure it will not be too long. V28 was releases just a few weeks ago, so I would assume an update would be coming soon.

If there are other issues you are finding in the software it's always best to report it. Keep in mind report feature requests as well.
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post

FYI "jrmach" is James or "jr" for short, Rob would be me

" Rob" or the "General" for short :rainfro::rainfro::rainfro:

the build updates are no longer free
    Were there any free build updates after subscription was introduced?
    I seem to remember that all bug fixes were incorporated with "feature upgrades" and thus no bug fixes at all were provided to those without a support subscription despite publicly used wording which implied otherwise ;-)

- Nick

Al, thanks for the update. Looking forward to a new build. I'm concerned about what Engine Guy said above. I don't have a support subscription as I pretty much get all my support off this forum. I don't wanna have to pay $300-400 for a subscription to get a new build that fixes a bug that wasn't a fault of the consumer(me). Kind of like buying a brand new car that has a problem with the ignition switch because it may start fire. I wouldn't and don't expect having to pay for this to get fixed at the dealer. I'm fine with having to pay for "UPGRADES" v27, v28, v29 etc.. but a fix just shouldn't be a chargeable item. Microsoft doesn't charge me for Windows updates.

Can you please let us customers know who will qualify for the "Build Update"

Thanks Al.

Rotax91

There has been much discussion regarding who gets free "Build Updates" and more importantly what constitutes a free "Build Update".

As I understand it an update that consists of only "fixes" would be free and one that consisted of "fixes" and "enhancements" would have to be covered by payment of some description.

Here is where the waters seem to get very muddy, what constitutes a "fix" as opposed to an "enhancement", more often than not "fixing" an issue invariably means the developers also have to make the area of the software being "fixed" better and more functional, this then appears to bring it under the "enhancement" rule

It was suggested by a member that Bobcad release two different copies of any Build update, one containing "fixes" only that would be free and one with both the "fixes" and "enhancements" that would be have to be paid for either by Subscription or one off payment, that was as far as I know never considered by Bobcad as a viable alternative as different people considered some things to be simple "fixes" and Bobcad arbitrarily considered those to be "enhancements"

As no one could agree on anything in this very murky "grey area" the situation is as far as I am aware still stands in that all new Builds of a software version have to be paid for

Don`t worry, this isn`t just a Bobcad thing, some other CadCAM software vendors won`t even let you pay for stuff if you have missed a year or two of payments, you often have to "buy back" those before you can move on to new Builds/Versions.

Way of the world I`m afraid so no point going to another vendor, they all have similar methods of getting more $$$$ out of you

Regards
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Were there any free build updates after subscription was introduced?
    I seem to remember that all bug fixes were incorporated with "feature upgrades" and thus no bug fixes at all were provided to those without a support subscription despite publicly used wording which implied otherwise ;-)

- Nick
    Nick

None that I am aware of and yes, you are correct, in reality there are no free "bug fix" updates that I know of

I am happy to be corrected if any of the previous posts and this one is incorrect

Regards
    Rob

Don`t worry, this isn`t just a Bobcad thing, some other CadCAM software vendors won`t even let you pay for stuff if you have missed a year or two of payments, you often have to "buy back" those before you can move on to new Builds/Versions.
    But there are also plenty of others that do provide all updates and bug fixes released for free.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I like ger21's comment. In my opinion, Bug fix updates should always be free. When you buy a product, you simply expect it to be free of problems. May not have all the featuresyou want or expect but for what it does have, it should function without crashes. ~~ Rob, I like what you had to say about an update of fixes only, being FREE. Let's hope that's the case. You question as to what constitutes as a fix vs enhancement. Well I feel a fix is just that, a fix. An existing function that crashes due to bad code or whatever, a customer should be provided a 'fix' free of charge. If a company is to charge customer for this, then that is just plain wrong. Then you're running along the lines of companies potentially planting bugs deliberately just to profit off a fix updates. To me that's double dipping. Now adding a feature such as the new Tabbing feature in V28 for example, that's an enhancement. I would expect to pay for that.
    '
    BC will do the right thing on this and provide us of a fix. If it weren't the bug with the editing the stock, it wouldn't be so bad for me but I really do this frequently.

Don't get me wrong. I really like v28 and would recommend it. Clean up a couple things and it's an excellent program. I trust it on our $100,000+ Haas mill.

Nick

None that I am aware of and yes, you are correct, in reality there are no free "bug fix" updates that I know of

I am happy to be corrected if any of the previous posts and this one is incorrect

Regards
    Rob
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action suit filed yet. I suppose it's only a matter of time. Enhancements are one thing. Not providing fixes to know bugs (at no added cost) is another since the product doesn't perform as advertised. I hope that doesn't happen because that will probably be the end of BobCad but on the other hand, they need to provide critical fixes to the consumer.

Do we have a better idea of how long until an update will be out?
    Do you have to pay for one of their support plans to get the update?
    If you can buy the update without one of their support plans... generally how much will it cost??

No,,but should not be long

Yes,unless they change their policy

No,not to my knowledge

Disappointing.... I think I'll start elsewhere for software now.

Reading your couple of first posts says a lot.

If you own Bobcad,you have more software than you'll need for quite a long time.It's not clear if you own it or not.

You stated you did not want to spend more than $1800 for a machine in another post.
    That said you probably have a very limited budget for software too.
    So I am thinking you do not own it and I am at a lost on your 2 cents.
    If you want something affordable and good,I would recommend looking on E-Bay for V 26.It is a very good version and I bet you could get a good deal.

Then when you need help,come here.

Page 1 of 5 123