586,100 active members*
2,977 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > First CNC Machine Spindle & VFD

First CNC Machine Spindle & VFD

I’m looking at buying a spindle & VFD for my first CNC machine that’s going to be housed in a residential garage. I'm a carpenter by trade and do make custom kitchens on occasion. But mostly using the CNC to make custom furniture as well for hobby work. The machine will not be used day to day and will sit idle most of the time. However I want to be prepared for anything that gets thrown at me in the future.

The spindle that I'm looking at
    5.5kw (7.5HP)
    380V
    12 amps
    400Hz
    8000-24000 rpm

High Quality 5.5kw Spindle Motor/Water Cooling Spindle For CNC Router-in Machine Tool Spindle from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I only have 240V single phase. So from what I have read I’m going to need to buy a 3 phase input VFD and de-rate it 50%. Am I right at assuming I need to buy one that has 380V input @ 24amp minimum with 380V output to match the motor?

This will all connect to a 30 amp breaker with 10 gauge wire.

The VFD that I'm looking at is
    11Kw
    380V input
    380V output
    24Amps
    48-63 HZ input
    0-400 Hz output

Re: First CNC Machine Spindle & VFD

No, you can't run a 380V spindle from 220V single phase.
    What kind of machine is this? That's a lot of spindle, probably much more than you need.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Sorry I i put the wrong spindle information. Here is the correct one it's the same specs but on 3 phase 220v
    5.5KW water cooled Spindle 125mm ER25 380V/220V Spindle Motor used in wood cutting milling Engraving Spindle Motor CS011D-in Machine Tool Spindle from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I can pick eather the (320v model won't work) or the 220v model.

i contacted the vender asking how many full load amps it will draw on 3 phase 220v, just waiting for a reply back.

The machine is a 48 inch wide by 8 foot long can be as long as I want cnc table with a 12 inch z axis. It is going to build

Kitchen cabinets out of solid baltic birch and 12 layer 3/4 inch pre finished veneer plywood.

Solid hardwood countertops with 3 to 4 Inch thick cnc edge profiles.

The custom furniture that I make is solid exotic hardwood some of the denses in the world.

The machine is also going to act as my lathe on a rotary a axis and turn up to 20 inch thick turnings sometimes with heavy knots to plow through.

I would rather buy just one spindle set it up and be done with it in tell it dies. Rather then buying a 2.2kw than upgrading to a 4kw 2 years later and finally upgrading to the max that single phase can handle a 5.5kw over time because I find out I need more power it's much cheaper in the long run I think to just spend the money in the first place. But if you think something less powered will do I'm all ears to save money.

Thanks.

I'd also agree that the 5.5 is probably a little large. It will blow through material more quickly but 2 points: 1) sounds like time isn't a problem for you and 2) you have to have the material hold down excellent to blow through material too, its not just the spindle. Finally, although you might get longer life from a larger spindle working less hard, its probably heavy and will put more stress on other components. 4kw, which I have on a commercial CNC, is pretty good.