586,047 active members*
3,837 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCAD profile tool path is not following the contour. How do I improve this?

BobCAD profile tool path is not following the contour. How do I improve this?

Hi,

I have a simple part. This part is oversized by 0.375" for a secondary process. The problem is that when I create the toolpath, it ends up being inside that 0.375" allowance and at times, it comes very close to the "actual" part. How do I improve this toolpath?

Pink = tool path
    blue = contour
    black = actual part

Thank you,
    Ben

Re: BobCAD profile tool path is not following the contour. How do I improve this?

Go to the prefs-part-display settings and crank up the angle........

Re: BobCAD profile tool path is not following the contour. How do I improve this?

Hi BurrMan,

Thanks for the quick reply, but I am unable to locate anything that says '...angle'. I see a transparency degree...?

Should I look somewhere else?
    I have V25

Quote Originally Posted by benjamint76 View Post
    Hi BurrMan,

Thanks for the quick reply, but I am unable to locate anything that says '...angle'. I see a transparency degree...?

Should I look somewhere else?
    I have V25
    sorry. There are 2 sliders. One for lines and 1 for surfaces. Maybe they say "quality".... i forgot and am not at computer. They represent the viewport "mesh angle"

Edit. Just got a look at your image. It is the surface and wireframe sliders. I see your wireframe is all the way up... maybe need the file to get a look at

Frik. Shading not surface.

Burr,,he uploaded a file on the BoB forum.
    As Burr said your wireframe slider turn it down.
    I still could not get it dialed in perfectly.
    Maybe its just the fact of such a large model.
    I do not believe what you see on the screen is how it really is.I believe it will cut correctly.

Love to see your set-up..Not familiar with hot wire.

I put a file up over there for him. Here's the reply:

Delete contours and run explode-lines at .0001. Then run contour on both items and reselect geometry for the profile op…
    It has to do with those super long 3 point arcs and tolerances for the contour command and what the profile op is reading.

Remove the contours and then explode those huge arcs into a million pieces. You can then rerun the contour command and toolpath it ok...

Well done.
    If he would of just ran the part, would it of been OK?
    I mean is this just a graphics issue or does this affect the model and tool path ?
    After Exploding,,you most definitely would want to contour it,right ? Otherwise you have a million little line segments that are bound to make things choppy on the cutting,,,is that a correct statement?
    Thanks for more knowledge Mr. Burr

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Well done.
    If he would of just ran the part, would it of been OK?
    I mean is this just a graphics issue or does this affect the model and tool path ?
    After Exploding,,you most definitely would want to contour it,right ? Otherwise you have a million little line segments that are bound to make things choppy on the cutting,,,is that a correct statement?
    Thanks for more knowledge Mr. Burr
    Not graphics. Imternals. Yes, the toolpath would be off.

The second question is a good question. I assumed making the contour after the explode would handle that part but i could be wrong. This is where v27's rebuild was welcomed.