586,640 active members*
2,719 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle Start Command Requires Dual Entry

I just got my knee mill CNC up and running. I am using Mach3, SmoothstepperESS, PMDX 107 & 126 BOB and Gecko G320X's with PMDX speed sensor feedback on the spindle. I also have a VFD on the spindle. Everything is working very nearly perfectly. However, Mach is exihibing a strange problem which doesn't seem to make sense. I have to issue a M3 spindle command twice for the PMDX 107 relay to start the spindle up. If I only enter the typical line, S3000 M3, nothing happens. The string I've found that works is:

M3
    S2000 M3

Why would Mach or something in my hardware resist starting up on the normal S2000 M3 line? I tried it in MDI too, same problem. I even have to do the same thing when starting from the program menu, I have to click 'spindle start' then enter the speed and hit enter, even if speed is set already.

I have a 4 second delay set, when I run a normal startup string S2000 M3, I see the delay LED flashing, but nothing starts on the spindle until I do the procedure above.

Isn't that odd? Any advice is appreciated.
    Nick

Re: Spindle Start Command Requires Dual Entry

OK, I was able to solve my issue - turns out I have a slightly old version of Mach still on this machine. Although it looks and acts just fine, it must have a bug in the spindle start. I installed the newest version of Mach3 and now it works perfectly.

Nick