586,545 active members*
3,125 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Belt Change Help

Hi All,

I couldn't decide whether to post this here or in the Path pilot section, I would like an answer mostly using Path pilot, but the basic question would apply to Mach 3 also.

I have always thought it would be useful to have something to cue you change the belt position during execution of a program. I know that when a belt change is needed, you are most likely stopped with a tool change M06 code, but some times I totally space changing the belt.

I was wondering if you could create a user defined M code for this? I have no experience creating M codes, but I do know it's possible. What I don't know, is if it's possible to create some kind of display to tell the operator what the M code is for?
    Maybe something like causing the spindle range LED for the desired range to Blink?

Terry

Re: Belt Change Help

My cam software allows me to insert prompts where ever I want and or AOs.
    I even insert multiple m1 commands to force me to read "prompts" do what they say like change fixture screws, flip part or find x,y,z and hit alt-r to continue.
    I do lots of multi side parts in one program and more or less just follow the on screen prompts and changing belt positions and speed settings would be another ao or auxiliary operation in one of those part programs.
    md

someone just needs to come up with an automatic belt position changer...
    should be simple...
    I just can think of anything/visualize it right now...
    but it should be simple (just because I said so really... I have no proof to back that statement up though...)

Belt change?
    I belIeve NYCNC said he has kept his belt on high range for the last five years and never changed it.
    I can't imagine changing the belt 6 times in one part run that has 15 tool changes

Quote Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
    someone just needs to come up with an automatic belt position changer...
    should be simple...
    I just can think of anything/visualize it right now...
    but it should be simple (just because I said so really... I have no proof to back that statement up though...)

Sometimes I drill fairly large holes (5/8" or larger) and on high range the spindle will not have enough torque and can stall out.

Terry

Sometimes i add M00 (stop program) then add a note like (switch to low gear) in parentheses and i also add another M00 after the note all before that tool change. So when you run the program it will stop at M00 and sit until you hit cycle start (twice BC for every M00 you need to hit cycle start) Hope that make sense.

Seems like adding the stops and notes to the code is the simplest practical solution, Would just be nice to have something in the display to provide a cue.

Thanks

Terry

M00 stops with a note in the program is the easiest way.
    We've done this for a lot for fixturing and vise / clamping changes during a program run.
    The best way to idiot-proof it for operators is to make 2 back-to-back M00 stops with back-to-back notes.
    Example:
    M5
    M00
    (Change Belt)
    M00
    (Did you Change Belt?)
    M3 S1000
    When the spindle stops, it's usually common practice to look at the program to see what's up. So the 'Prompt' is just a note in the program.

I drill large holes often (5/8" & 11/16") and as long as my feeds/speeds are set and I use chip/clearing or removing, I have not had a torque problem on the high belt setting.

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Sometimes I drill fairly large holes (5/8" or larger) and on high range the spindle will not have enough torque and can stall out.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by RussMachine View Post
    We've done this for a lot for fixturing and vise / clamping changes during a program run.
    The best way to idiot-proof it for operators is to make 2 back-to-back M00 stops with back-to-back notes.
    Example:
    M5
    M00
    (Change Belt)
    M00
    (Did you Change Belt?)
    M3 S1000
    When the spindle stops, it's usually common practice to look at the program to see what's up. So the 'Prompt' is just a note in the program.
    As I mentioned above this is exactly what I do! I tend to program cam conservative and override spindle speed and feeds while its running . Not as experienced as other around here and I tend to also enjoy changing these on the fly to evaluate finish, chips, fixture rigidity even tool overhang and deflection. This requires me to add extra program stops with comments for setting critical operations like tc tap operations to prompt me to check and set feeds back to 100% and add tap oil other wise the program and part will be spoiled. If my programs required belt changes I would add same with prompts to do both change belt and set controller software settings correctly.
    md

LOL yeah i was going to say what i type in like "dumb azz" some where in there LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RussMachine View Post
    Example:
    M5
    M00
    (Change Belt)
    M00
    (Did you Change Belt?)
    M3 S1000
    M0 restarts the clock f you're keeping time of your cycle time. You could accomplish the same thing with an M6 and you wouldn't lose tour cycle clock.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    M0 restarts the clock f you're keeping time of your cycle time. You could accomplish the same thing with an M6 and you wouldn't lose tour cycle clock.

That wouldn't necessarily work with Path Pilot. If you currently had tool 1 in the spindle, then did an M6 for tool 1 it would ignore the tool change and keep going.