586,096 active members*
3,773 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

M03 Triggers E-Stop

Greetings,

When my machine, Smithy CNC1240, encounters an M03 or M04 command in a program, the machine shuts down with this error...

joint 0 on limit switch error

which I think is the same as an E-Stop?

I removed the M03 command and the program runs fine from start to finish.

Also, an MDI command of S1000M03 also shuts down the machine.

My software is LinuxCNC 2.5.4

The spindle is a VFD with a SunFar controller.

Oddly, a few days ago, I could MDI all the M03 and M04 commands I wanted and changed the spindle speed with "S" commands throughout the RPM range.

Eagerly awaiting some help,

Dave

Re: M03 Triggers E-Stop

Chechk the wiring. Does the spindle atempt to start when given an M3 ? do you actualy have limit switches connected? More details would help a lot.
    Joint 0 on limit switch error is not same as E-stop.That is an active limit switch on X axis.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by fc60 View Post
    Greetings,

When my machine, Smithy CNC1240, encounters an M03 or M04 command in a program, the machine shuts down with this error...

joint 0 on limit switch error

which I think is the same as an E-Stop?

I removed the M03 command and the program runs fine from start to finish.

Also, an MDI command of S1000M03 also shuts down the machine.

My software is LinuxCNC 2.5.4

The spindle is a VFD with a SunFar controller.

Oddly, a few days ago, I could MDI all the M03 and M04 commands I wanted and changed the spindle speed with "S" commands throughout the RPM range.

Eagerly awaiting some help,

Dave

Check the wiring. First, the connection to "spindle start". Disconnect and see if the E-Stop still triggers.
    I don't know the details of your VFD but if all else fails you might have to add an opto-coupler or relay etc...

Hub
    Current build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/264838-new-machine-desing-quot-cnm13-quot.html

Quote Originally Posted by tommylight View Post
    Chechk the wiring. Does the spindle atempt to start when given an M3 ? do you actualy have limit switches connected? More details would help a lot.
    Joint 0 on limit switch error is not same as E-stop.That is an active limit switch on X axis.
    Tom
    Greetings Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

With an MDI M03 or M04 command, there is about a three second pause and the spindle starts to move. The spindle does not make a full revolution.

The X, Y, and Z limit switches are connected together. I suspect they are working as I can HOME the machine successfully.

I did open the Control Box and reseat all the plug in cables in case of a bad connection, no change.

Sincerely,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by hub View Post
    Check the wiring. First, the connection to "spindle start". Disconnect and see if the E-Stop still triggers.
    I don't know the details of your VFD but if all else fails you might have to add an opto-coupler or relay etc...

Hub
    Greetings Hub,

Thanks for the reply.

My next effort will be to apply power to the spindle control directly and see if I can get the spindle motor to run. I have the control manual and have learned how to set the parameters for manual operation.

With kind regards,

Dave

You have an induction problem, or bad grounding, or low power going through long cables, or a crappy BOB.
    Try to keep the limit switch cables as far as possible from the other cabling and see if that helps, as for grounding check if you have ground wire from the power source is connected to the minus wire on motor driver side.
    If all that fails, you will have to add pull up resistors to the inputs of your BOB.
    Tom