586,032 active members*
3,000 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Nema 23 Electronics Kit with ESS

I want to start of first saying that I am huge fan of cncrouterparts and I love supporting them because they are local.

I called them to discuss replacing my G540 (which is currently sent off for repair) because it was acting up. I was sold on getting the electronics kit. Ever since I got the nema 23 electronics kit, I have noticed extremely smooth operation when it works. The ESS has been giving me nothing but problems. So many problems, that I would be better off using a broken G540. At first I had "out of data" constantly so I went to the forums and adjusted my buffer from 2k to 1k. That fixed it for a couple of weeks. Now its doing it every 5 minutes into a job that I cut successfully a week ago.

I am using a laptop (was the entire reason for getting this kit with the ESS). Keep in mind, I cut the same exact job with a lot of g-code correctly without the ESS stopping so I am positive it is not my laptop. Why would the same job stop every 5 minutes now after successfully cutting perfectly before? The stopping is pointless. It never loses steps so all I do is "run from here" and start again. I cannot walk away to work on another things. I have to sit there for 4 hours hitting "run from here". I have a business to run...I cannot stand at the machine for 4 hours.

Does anyone think they the ESS can be replaced by something else without replacing the entire kit? I love this kit, but I am regretting the ESS part. I will use a desktop if I have to, but again, the laptop was cutting jobs just fine. Sorry if this is coming off strong...I am just frustrated at so much time lost.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc_router_table_machines/164219-project_krmx02_50x102_doughty_drives.html

Re: Nema 23 Electronics Kit with ESS

Op4,

Usually out of data problems are due to something on the PC (virus scan, power saver settings, etc) interfering with data transmission to the ESS, but it's possible there's a problem with your ESS. Have you installed any other software on your laptop recently? Also, are you running the latest ESS plugin?

Give us a call or an email tomorrow and we can also get the guys from Warp9 involved -- I'm sure they'll be able to get to the root of the problem. We have hundreds of ESS's in the field running without a problem (usually far more reliably than parallel port based systems). If it's an issue with the Smoothstepper we can get it replaced.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts