586,500 active members*
1,894 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V25 lathe, tool zero position

V25 lathe, tool zero position

So I just bought V25 lathe for a small lathe I'm building and I'm having a hard time trying to set the tool "zero" position. By that I mean where I physically touch off the tool for my toolpath calculation. In this particular instance I have a 3/8 round insert. The default "zero" position is at the tip, but off to one side or the other based on the orientation number of the tool. What I want is it to be at the tip, and centered on the insert width. It looks like the "theoretical" settings are the ticket, but apparently they are linked to the tool orientation # and can't be edited. So does BCC have the ability to change the point at which the toolpath calculations are output from?

Re: V25 lathe, tool zero position

There is no tool "zero" position per se, and on a round insert it will simply be the TNR value, the software only uses these values to generate the toolpaths according to the cuts you wish to make on the stock you have set.
    Where you physically "touch off" at the machine has nothing to do with what the software produces, it only does what you tell it to do.

You can either use the TNR system within the software or if you have a TNR setting at your machine control then I suggest that you set your tools to 0.000 for TNR values, the software will then output code as if the tool was a point, the machine control will then move the tool the required amount depending on the TNR value, you are able to adjust for tool wear much easier at the machine without the need to regenerate the code again.

A tip, either use all TNR within V25 or all at the machine control, do not try to mix them up, can get very messy ! !

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Re: V25 lathe, tool zero position

Yeah, I know my tool touch doesn't impact anything, but I was just trying to visualize my question a bit.

Thanks for the info. I was trying to avoid using the wear offsets to account for the difference, but I suppose that will work.