586,094 active members*
4,000 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Sprut 7 Tutorial question...

Sprut 7 Tutorial question...

been using roughing waterline for just about everything so far, and it has worked mostly for what I have wanted to do...
    finally decided it was time to sit down and really learn sprut 7...
    so I ran their built in tutorial... found out I really like the Finishing Optimized plane op... wish I did this earlier... but anyway, my question is with the roughing waterline part of the tutorial...

why does my sprut insist on doing the outside of the part?
    or more exactly what step did the tutorial leave out? I am guessing that there should be something in the "Job Zone" setting, but what would be the best way to convince sprut to just mill the pocket and not the exterior?

Re: Sprut 7 Tutorial question...

In the Geometry tab you have to draw a line around what you want machined/restricted, that would be your job zone, the other option restrict zone will machine the outside and leave the pocket untouched. In this case I would use the draw profile option and job zone.
    mike sr

You should not have to draw any additional geometry. Just simply turn on edge selection, and double click one of the edges at the top of your pocket. If double clicking doesn't select the whole upper pocket contour, hold control and select the additional line segments. Once satisfied with your selection, click 'job zone'. Your toolpath should now be restricted to inside the pocket. Of course adding a top and/or bottom level or defining Z level in parameters can help optimize your results.

thanks danh818. that is generally what I have been doing...
    I was mostly wondering about sprut's tutorial thingy, since they did none of that an somehow it magically knew to just do the pocket?

LOL yeah don't look behind the curtain too much with SPRUT's tutorials. Watch the Youtube stuff and you will see the real world. It pretty much mirrors your actual experience with the pointers put forth by Popspipes and danh818. With SPRUT there is a lot more to a successful operation than what meets the eye.

I'm often frustrated by SprutCAM not letting me using existing part geometry to restrict the work zone. Their geometry drawing utility looks like something the Elbonians would dream up.

Line segments seem to work better than faces for job/restrict zone choices. If you still have trouble, go to model tab, select your whole part and try 'sew faces' this sometimes helps. It's been a couple years since I've used version 7 though. 8 was a big help over 7 and now 9 is an even more substantial difference than 8.

Also keep in mind that roughing operations are designed to remove the vast majority of unwanted material. In other words, they like to remove material from the outside of the part. If you cannot use another operation type, or a finishing/rest operation, fixtures are another thing to try. I haven't tried it in 7 but you may be able to select the unwanted faces of the mode and set them as fixtures just for that operation.

If you have previously run an operation that has removed material from the outside of the part, you can try increasing the value in the box of the attached picture. This may help you from re-cutting the same area again. Checked Geometry in SC9, I think 7 has the same option.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	checked geometry.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	276922

In the past I had a problem with the cutter going over the top surface before starting on the selected area in sprut 7, unchecking the box labeled "clear flats" fixed that for me. I have also had it machine areas that werent selected, in the instances I remember it was due to a defect in the model.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I'm often frustrated by SprutCAM not letting me using existing part geometry to restrict the work zone. Their geometry drawing utility looks like something the Elbonians would dream up.
    No doubt LOL!! That was pretty funny...I needed that humor after mailing in my taxes today

Try make the stock a little smaller.
    That will probably make sprutcam not mill the outside of the part.