586,640 active members*
2,461 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > vaseline ok to lube the ways on a bridgeport?
Page 1 of 2 12

vaseline ok to lube the ways on a bridgeport?

Hi guys,

I just picked up a used bridgeport. The grease on the ways is pretty filthy. Can I wipe it off and replace it with some vaseline? That good enough?

-Mike

A bridgeport mill is mean't to have waylube 68 used on the ways. Otherwise what is the big deal about using EP grease on it?
    Why vaseline?
    I guess if you are that hard up and can't get to a store, vaseline is better than nothing
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

The older machines did indeed have grease fittings. But grease is typically a lot better than vaseline at what it does. Typically good at higher pressure applications. Newer machines had the one shot way oil systems. Mobil Vactra number 2 or a good way oil is the least you can use there.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mbwittig View Post
    Hi guys,

I just picked up a used bridgeport. The grease on the ways is pretty filthy. Can I wipe it off and replace it with some vaseline? That good enough?

-Mike
    How old is it?
    Most Bridgeport's have central lubrication systems piped through them, and they use Way Lube which is available at www.use-enco.com for a reasonable price per gallon!

If you can't get way lube, straight 30 weight non deturgent oil like the stuff for old lawn mowers, will work fine!

The glop on the mill may just be a grease used during storage, to keep it from rusting!

If the mill is really old, and has zirk-fittings (grease nipples), then use a standard automotive grease!

Have fun!
    Eric

Hi guys, I just picked up a used bridgeport. The grease on the ways is pretty filthy. Can I wipe it off and replace it with some vaseline? That good enough? -Mike
    Vaseline is not any different to high viscosity pure mineral oil, it works perfectly well as a lubricant for applications that are low speed, low load and low temperature. Which describes machine ways fairly accurately.

Vaseline is not a mechanical lube and may even contain water! The machine should have an auto oil lube system?

My bridgeport is not kept in the best of environments at the moment and is somewhat open to the elements. While I use the reccomended Heavybear 68 in the auto lube system, anything not protected by that has been covered with a liberal helping of Vaseline which does a damn good job of keeping rust and moisture at bay.
    Dom
    http://www.ukrobotics.com/projects

The zerk fittings on older Bridgeports are NOT for grease. You pump wayoil into them. I use a grease gun full of vactra #2 on my old round ram. I give each fitting a shot or two before use.

Quote Originally Posted by JagSys View Post
    Vaseline is not a mechanical lube and may even contain water!
    Nonsense.

I'll second that!

Grease holds on and helps collect crud like fly paper. You most certainly do not want that. A direct injection with a "high pressure hand oil pump can" will flush out the crud and lubricate as intended. If the ways have good wipers, then the petrolium jelly won't have much of a chance to lube where it would do much good anyway.

What's next.......KY Jelly for gear lube and Massengill Douche for coolant?

DC

Quote Originally Posted by One of Many View Post

DC
    I'll 3rd that ...or whatever. I wonder if you can get any of the above products in bulk from MSC or Granger???

Exclamation Mcmeng

Hi guys,

-Mike
    NO- clean the shipping grease off, and OIL the ways with waylube as they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by One of Many View Post

DC
    it smells like a country flower

Quote Originally Posted by scottmi View Post
    The zerk fittings on older Bridgeports are NOT for grease. You pump wayoil into them. I use a grease gun full of vactra #2 on my old round ram. I give each fitting a shot or two before use.
    like Scott says, do not grease! those fittings are meant for way oil not grease. If you or someone has put a grease gun to the way zerks, unfortunately you've a messy and heavy clean up as you are going to be taking it apart. the oil will partially remove the grease from the tubing, but you must disassemble to get the grease out of between the bearing surfaces

you can't assume that because they look like what you call a grease fitting, that they therefor should be greased! Don't take my word for it, find an old manual. actually, that's probably your best bet...lubrication is critical to a machine - doing so properly is important, so maybe you should find a manual rather than take the conflicting info presented in an internet forum , there are lots of sources of manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgepu360 View Post
    it smells like a country flower
    ??? NICE! Maybe pink would look better on a BP than machine gray?
    A.J.L.

I have a question for those who seem to be so anti-grease. Two of my machines have grease nipples on the ballscrews and linear ways and the manufacturer's instructions in the manual are to pump in three strokes of general purpose grease everyone so often. Should I ignore this and pump in waylube?

NO! do as the manufacturer recomends.
    A.J.L.

I did hear about the newly weds that did not know the difference between putty and vaseline and all the windows fell out of the house.
    Walt.

Obviously a rhetorical question, but could imply confusion to anyone becoming part of the "so anti-grease" group.

Is this a Bridgeport Geof? Are the ways all cast iron or are they ground steel on steel or brass on steel? Are they roller ways? Are the ways completely enclosed? Is it even a mill, a grinder, what? A fair and defined comparison would be essential to comprehend differences in the application if there are any.

Since the OEM suggests it, no one has recommended ignoring any OEM. The recommendations given were primarily based on the specific machine in question knowing full well what the on topic OEM commonly suggests in their manuals along with the why's and where fores....as far as I know, it has not changed over the years.

I don't speak as anti or advocate and am not stating anything as a cut and dry issue, but I'm not suggest it as a "Pro-Choice" lubrication issue either.

Follow the OEM recommendations or your new found jewel may suffer in the fools apathy. Desperate people may take desparate measures, but I think this poster had enough concern for his Bridgeport to ask.

To end with similar rhetoric. You aren't honestly suggesting greasing Bridgeport ways with vaseline or otherwise ignore their recommendations are you?

Sorry, but IMHO and years of experience that is mis-information and I sincerely think you've been around long enough to know that too!

DC

Ok. I will throw my cat into this dog fight - don't use grease on the ways of a BP. That's what they make way lube for.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Page 1 of 2 12