I made a little bit of progress with attempting to adapt the 3hp motor today. The first thing in order was to pull off the top of the gear housing and see what I was working with for thickness. Initial measurements of the motors showed me I wouldn't be able to use the stock bolt locations, but luckily I erred in my favor and gained another .25" of adapter plate thickness. With the gear box lid off I saw how the casting was built up around the front two holes to allow them to be deep enough and threaded. The two rear motor mount holes overhang from the gear box.

My adapter plate will bolt to the 3 endcap holes in the new motor and using studs will bolt on the stock holes location. This gives me .5" clearance for the stud and nut above .25" of flange material. Pics below to show.

As for the gear box, I was but wasn't surprised too see the condition inside of it. Gears, bearing races, and parts of shafts had rust on them and there was the standard dirt and grit here and there I could knock loose. The gear oil I replaced during this build however I don't see bearings lasting very long with double the rpm and said dirt.

Last but not least, I never got around to a solution for oiling of the z ballscrew until this week. I picked up an oiling brush that attaches to pipe thread and has a thru hole. This will have constant contact with the ballscrew higher than the ballnut will travel and hopefully let oil run down the length of the screw over time. I need to finish running tubing to it and it's done.