586,076 active members*
3,769 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > partner 1 tool changer problem

partner 1 tool changer problem

does anyone know the procedure to home the tool changer on a partner 1
    I beleave its a 1992 machine.

Go to the F10-Util, F5-TlChc screen and press F3-Home or F5-MDI and type in an M20 command. This will rotate the Tool Changer carousel until the At Home (Yin2) prox switch has been triggered. If the carousel just keeps turning, check the prox switch function and check to be sure the pocket in the platter hasn't gotten a chip stuck that 'fools' ther prox.

when I type in m20 in mdi or push the home button the carousel doesn't move. It will do a tool change but the pocket facing the spindle on start up
    is the new home every day.If I shut the machine down with tool 5 in the spindle the next time I boot it up tool 5 is the new tool 1. I figure there
    must be a procedure to home the tool changer.

thanks

The Tool Changer carousel 'home position' is always pocket 1 and this is established when the prox switch input to Y axis input 2 is taken to 0vdc. There is no way to assign another pocket as 'home position' on this style tool changer. If the carousel is on pocket 5 when you command the carousel to home and it doesn't move or try to move, check the Yin2 input, I expect you'll see that it's made.

Does the carousel rotate at all?

When you go to MDI and give an M20 Home, M21 CW, or M22 CCW move, the carousel should move to pocket 1, or move one pocket CW or CCW. If it doesn't, check to be sure the geneva coupling isn't jammed with a chip, the fuses to the motor are good, the contactor still works, all the connections and the wiring is still OK.

If all appears to be good, you may have to resort to the tried-and-true technique used anytime weird things happen of re-formatting the SRAM and re-loading the control parameters from a back-up disk.

The funny thing is it worked fine today.the cw & ccw commands work
    but when you use the home nothing happens.I'll check the wiring tomarrow
    what do you know about encoders? sometimes when you home the machine
    when its done the y creeps foward untill it hits the hard stop.I was thinking
    it might be a bad encoder but it doesn't do it every time any thoughts?

thanks

The Homing Sequence commands an axis to move towards the home switch until the switch is closed, then away from the switch until it re-opens, then back towards the switch until the control receives the Marker Pulse signal frim the encoder. The switch gets the axis in the right area to look for the marker. If the control never gets the marker pulse, it will continue on until it hits the over-travel switch. If the wiring all checks good, you may be in the market for an encoder, it's not unusual for an encoder to lose the marker.

Re: partner 1 tool changer problem

I don't think this comment is related to those in this thread.