586,581 active members*
3,243 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC foam wing cutters in the classroom

I have been in and out of the foam wing cutter and hobby forums here where there are plenty of plans to build your own CNC cutters. Since many of these kits are not sold by big companies, I am not even sure if I can get a purchase order for one. If I can't get a kit, I can easily purchase the components individually, but do I want to do that? Is my "return" going to be worth it. I think the return on actually building the machine might be better than what we make with the machine, but who knows.

The question is, are there any other teachers out there who have used these or other foam wing cutters in their classroom to say cut airfoils for planes, etc.? If so, what types of projects might you do with it? Pitsco sells a foam wing cutter for about $400, but it is not even CNC and I could use the standing nicrome wire heater I have to do that, and save the $400 to buy acrylics for my mill.

What do you think, worth the trouble?
    "Craft is What I do All Day. Art is what I have at the end of it" Jean Weller

Here is a site that I got my machine from- http://www.foamlinx.com/

a little pricey

Those cutters are beautiful, but a little out of my supply budget. I think it might make a GREAT project for one of my advanced seniors to build one, but I see so many links to building these that my head is swimming.
    "Craft is What I do All Day. Art is what I have at the end of it" Jean Weller