586,471 active members*
4,299 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mori Seiki Machines > Mori Seiki lathes > MORI NL2500 SY700 M11 COMMAND HANGS MACHINE

MORI NL2500 SY700 M11 COMMAND HANGS MACHINE

I am trying to transfer a part using the CAPS Conversational Programming Interface. The G Code looks perfect, the second spindle moved up to the part, a push check is executed, the second spindle chuck is clamped perfectly, but then after the M11 command, the spindle 1 jaws open but the program simply stops/hangs

A reset is needed to get out of the program.

In MDI mode, If I bring the second spindle into to part by hand and execute M210 Spindle 2 Clamp followed by M11 Command, no more programs can be entered after the M11 Command - error message "operation is in progress".

For some reason, the M11 command is not allowing other commands to be run after it.

Any suggestions?

Re: MORI NL2500 SY700 M11 COMMAND HANGS MACHINE

You need to adjust the prox switches on the back of the actuator. Machine is not seeing unclamp confirmation.

or the proximity switch is dead or chewed out. we had the same problem on my machine a few years ago. the fault was swarf jammed at the end of the spindle tube and spinning around for several years like that resulting in half of the proximity switch disappearing as the swarf ground it away. the machine doesn't need it to manually open/close chuck with pedal, its only used when issuing M10/M11 commands.

Solution Found!

I have a Mori-Seiki SL-303 with a MSG-501 controller (Fanuc for all intents and purposes). Turns out the problem was with the two switches at the end of the spindle tube (on the left side of the machine) that tell the machine when the chuck is open or closed.

To check if this is the problem, go into MDI and run a M11. If the chuck opens, but the M11 does not clear from the MDI screen, one or both of the switches need to be adjusted. By the way, same thing happened in my program...which would get frozen up when it read the M11.

The two switches (on my machine) have slotted holes to allow you to slide them back and forth and light up or turn off depending on the chuck being closed or open. The internal sleeve of the spindle moves to the left when the chuck is opened and moves to the right when the spindle is closed.

When I first took a look, both proximity switch lights were on, whether or not the chuck was open or closed. It never occurred to me to look at these switches because I have always used the foot pedal to work the chuck. The foot pedal will always work, regardless of the position of the proximity switches.

Anyway, you will figure it out once you start experimenting.

In the end, both lights needed to be on when the chuck was open, and the left one needed to be off when the chuck was closed. Positioning them to finally be set properly took a bit of trial and error. Sometimes I would get a time-out alarm, and sometimes I would get an alarm stating the machine couldn't detect the end stroke, or something.