586,576 active members*
3,362 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Captain L370 turret way out.

Captain L370 turret way out.

we had a crash last night on our Captain L370, the tool indexed and hit the part in the chuck at full speed. today i put in the pins, and my dial says its still out over .010"... i guess i have to loosen off the clutch and re align the entire turret?

has anyone had this issue before?

if so, what should be some of the step to take to have this machine back on track?

Re: Captain L370 turret way out.

not familiar with the Captain but normally with a curvic coupling there are 2 meshing pieces (like big castle rings). one is bolted to the inside of the tool turret and the other to the rotary indexer inside the turret body. if yours is like this, remove the tool turret, loosen the ring inside the tool turret making sure it is lightly tightened with 2 or 4 bolts by hand (not loose and not tight) leaving the remaining bolts loose, mount the tool turret back onto the body (without the pins!) and gently tap the tool turret into position using a copper hammer. once in position carefully remove the tool turret, and tighten all the curvic coupling bolts to spec and that's it.
    note the dowel pins should never be left in because it will cause big damage to the rings and tool turret dowel pin holes in a crash. always remove the pins before re-assembling it.

we got the turret removed, and down and the clutch removed. now i have to remove 2 bent tapered pins, and the manual says to ream out the holes??? i guess this is a judgement call, depending on how it looks... well, i should know more today. hopefully have the bent pins removed, and start the re assembly process.

has anyone ever had to remove the bent pins i am talking about? i was told that the pins are in the curvic coupling?

@fordav11, so you don't leave any of the pins in? i knew about the outer set of pins, never leave them in, but should there be a set in the coupling? i havent even looked at it yet today, the night shift guy got the turret off for me, and left it at this point, due to uncertainty.

thanks.

well, there's many bolts holding each piece to the body/turret. the amount of force holding the couplings is a lot (probably several tons). in general use the pins are not needed. the force applied to the turret from normal turning is almost nothing in comparison to the force applied by the bolts. the pins are purely for quick alignment. reaming isn't needed because they don't line up exactly anyway. especially if it's been crashed a few times and is damaged.
    in case you didnt know the pins come out pretty easily with a slide hammer :-)
    to see how it comes apart look at your parts manual. it shows the turret in an exploded diagram with all parts listed, including bolts and pins.

thanks @fordav11.

would you be putting anti seize on all parts when reassembling?

when we did my turret re-built (x2) on LT25 we didn't but it can't hurt to put some on if you have it.

@fordav11 i am starting to loose my patience with this turd. now we have started reassembling the machine, and trying to index the turret, we get error 1783-01, turret unclamp time over A side 1, i am at a loss on what to do next. seems like the cylinder is jammed..

more than likely if you took it apart the turret clamp/unclamp pin will be out of adjustment. when it clamps and unclamps there is a pin that moves and activates a microswitch. you just need to put it back where it was or move it in small increments until it is in the correct place. there is a screen that shows each switch, solenoid and I/O signal setting on/off. on my control (OSP7000) they call it CHECK DATA. look through the screens and manually activate the switch and you will find the one, or two status registers that move on/off when the microswitch is activated. from memory one of them has to be on and one off in the unclamp mode and they swap in the clamp mode. check your maintenance manual too as there is some info about the CHECK DATA screen.

also, make sure you put the turret back on in exactly the same position otherwise the tool numbers will not be correct when called. there is a reset procedure for that so let me know if you encounter that issue once the clamp/unclamp pin is working and I can type up the details here..... assuming your control is similar to mine ;-)