I just spent 3 hours at a Surfcam meeting that actually had almost nothing to do with Surfcam.
So this is my take on the matter.
Vero is not actually buying software to keep developing it, but rather it is buying a subscriber base of customers when it purchases a software platform (like Surfcam).
It is this base of customers (users) that generates income.
The actual software is something you have to put money into. Lots of money if you have to support a team of dedicated developers for each unique system.
If you can move even half of those users to a platform you already have, you save a bundle while making a bundle. Yes, they will lose some of the users, but I would think the retention is better than half.
Evo is the name of a software interface that they already have developed and they want that interface to cover many different cad/cam disciplines. Much more economical to have one platform serving all those users.
So, surfcam is dead, and they want to woo everyone to another package. The faster the better. They are just not going to come straight out and say it.
Soooooo, all you who always wanted to migrate to a different cam system, now is the time. Because you are basically migrating to an entirely new product anyway. Why not let it be the one of YOUR choosing, rather than Veros?