586,047 active members*
3,869 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Axis Faults.

Unhappy Axis Faults.

Hello,

I use a FADAL 3016L made in 2004 at work. I have been having several issues with it so I have several questions.

Short version:
    1. What is the recommend warm up for a FADAL?
    2. What would cause the Y axis to CS to a position .190 away from where it used to?
    3. What would cause Y axis fault "Axis controller does not respond to NC" and Z axis fault #21, "Spurious interrupts not serviceable."?

A little while back, when I powered on the machine, after taking off the E-Stop the machine ran forwards in the Y axis until it hit the mechanical limit and got stuck. Motor override errors were given, and I ended up having to put a socket wrench on the nut on the end of the Y axis screw to break it loose and move it.

Since then, the new CS home has been .190 from where it used to be. That offset has been consistent. If I jog it to where it used to be homed and run CS, it moves over that .190. It has done this consistently since then, so I have been continuing to use the machine just with a new home that is .190 away from where it used to be.

Last Friday after I started up the machine, I let it set for about 20 minutes. After then I ran CS, let it sit for about another 20. When I was sending the machine to its second home position, (7.5 inches along the Y to move the vises near the doors) the machine moved about 3.9 inches and gave a "Y axis fault Error #3 motor overload" After jogging it back to the CS location, and power cycling I didnt have that issue again. At this time, with the machine powered off, I made sure the Y axis board was seated well, and I unplugged and reinstalled the wires going it to.

Later that day, as I was setting up a fixture, I had the fixture set too far left causing the program to run out of travel on the X axis. When I received the "X AXIS fault - position limit" The Y axis would run away and travel to the back of the machine throwing up a "Y Axis fault Error #3". When I moved the fixture, this problem disappeared. The machine ran fine for the rest of the day.

Tuesday morning, I started up the machine and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Then I ran CS, and let it sit for about another 20 as I was doing other tasks. When I returned to the machine I found it had a Z axis fault #21, "Spurious Interrupts". After powering down and restarting the machine I had no issues or problems for the rest of the day.

This morning, 2 days later, I power up the machine and ran CS. Half an hour I did a dry run then started running parts. After running for about an hour I had a Z axis fault #21 after a tool change. The Z axis was traveling down when the fault occurred. The machine ran fine for an hour, then the ATC would not move to the spindle. I power cycled the machine and it appears to be functioning correctly again.

My Y axis issues seem to be in the mornings, and when the machine warmed up I didn't have any more Y axis issues. Could this be caused by an insufficient warm up?

My company is ready to call a tech out to look at the machine. I want to better identify and understand the issue before we do that. Any suggestions or comments? Anyone have a FADAL rep they can recommend that would be nearest to Sarasota Florida?

Thank you.

Re: Axis Faults.

The day after I made this post I went and pull the wires to the Y and Z axis boards and reinstalled them. I also jiggled the boards to make sure they were seated well. Since then I have had no issues.

So hopefully it was just a loose connection somewhere.