586,452 active members*
3,200 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 5 x 3 CNC

5 x 3 CNC

So it has been over a year since I got a prototype dremel based cnc working, and had to dismantle it, but I have now decided to create a larger medium sized CNC with a main view of machining aluminum with some wood in between and I may even want to explore the prospect of milling steel With that said, I am waiting right now to place the order for my set of Chinese ball screws and SBR20 Rails and blocks. My gantry supports and Z-axis will be made from 3/4" Aluminum 6061 plate and the remainder of the frame from 8020 aluminum profile, I will post CAD pics and specs on the framing as we go along. but for now I have begun work on the aluminum plate. Without ready access to a machine shop or certain tools, I am left with doing alot of the work manually, the pics to follow will show the gantry supports and the plate I used to create the Z axis, I cut the plate using a basic hacksaw and will have to file the plates to clean them up to a presentable level.

Re: 5 x 3 CNC

Gantry Supports

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC5679.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	277908

Quote Originally Posted by dj_nexxus View Post
    So it has been over a year since I got a prototype dremel based cnc working, and had to dismantle it, but I have now decided to create a larger medium sized CNC with a main view of machining aluminum with some wood in between and I may even want to explore the prospect of milling steel With that said, I am waiting right now to place the order for my set of Chinese ball screws and SBR20 Rails and blocks. My gantry supports and Z-axis will be made from 3/4" Aluminum 6061 plate and the remainder of the frame from 8020 aluminum profile, I will post CAD pics and specs on the framing as we go along. but for now I have begun work on the aluminum plate. Without ready access to a machine shop or certain tools, I am left with doing alot of the work manually, the pics to follow will show the gantry supports and the plate I used to create the Z axis, I cut the plate using a basic hacksaw and will have to file the plates to clean them up to a presentable level.
    If you want any chance of milling steel and if aluminum is your primary material to cut, I'd consider 4-way profile rails...

I was looking at that option, but until I can do better I will have to use the SBR20 and stick to aluminum and stick to extemely shallow passes on steel until I can rebuild, I was looking at 25mm 4 way rails initially.

Z Plate already Cut into parts

Attachment 277910

Offering up the parts for the Z Axis

Attachment 277916

Cut is not to shabby for a hand tool.

Attachment 277918

Quote Originally Posted by dj_nexxus View Post