586,590 active members*
2,147 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 47 123412
    If it's a huge problem I will swap out the motherboard and change things around. Got lots of parts around, not that hard to go from one to the other, just a matter of getting different cases.. first and foremost is the cnc though, likely going to run mach3 from my laptop first, then migrate over.. already got mach3 up and running on it and it seems to be functioning great, just can't wait to run my first gcode

I ran driver test and the line is pretty flat with very few tiny spikes

David

As promised here are some pictures of the pc/ controller that I am building.

The motherboard I am using is a Freetech mini flex atx board that I had in an old pc I built a few years ago. It has a Intel P4 1.6Ghz CPU and 384mb RAM + I have installed a 40Gb hard drive. All installed in a mini tower case I ordered from Newegg.com for $40.

The first picture shows an overall view of the interior where you can see the the motherboard, the CNC4PC multifunction card at the bottom and the Xylotex controller installed on a piece of HDPE cut to fit into an internal 3.5" drive bay.

In front of the Xylotex board is a large fan installed in the front of the case that will suck air out of the case and to be installed on the end of the HDPE will be a fan to blow air accross the heatsink (see other picture).

At the top of the case mounted under the CDROM drive is the power supply for the Xylotex board.

The second picture shows a close up of the CNC4PC board installed on risers I added to the case and the Xylotex card mounted in the 3.5" internal drive slot.

The third image shows the Xylotex power supply mounted in the spare 5.25" inch slot under the CDROM drive.

I modified the front panel blanking plate that would normally be removed to install a floppy drive (who remembers them) to install a switch for the cnc contoller power and an enable switch for the charge pump on the CNC4PC multifunction card as well as an estop button ( I will probably mount a second estop somewhere on the router itself.

Everything is still in "mockup" as I decided where everything is going to fit and then I shall wire it all up.

My final piece to add will be to add to probably one of the sides of the PC case somewhere for the stepper motor cables to exit as well as sockets for the limit switch cable pluge.

David

Visit my websites:

http://www.scalereplica.com

http://www.digitaloceans.net
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Computer 4.jpg   Computer 5.jpg   Computer 1.jpg   Computer 3.jpg  

Computer 2.jpg  

Here is one final picture of the Xylotex board mounted on a piece of HDPE using some plastic stand offs I ordered from Mouser.

Also show in the rough position is the fan that will blow air accross the heat sinks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Computer.jpg  

Awesome pics David, like the controller. What's the multifunction card for besides "the obvious"? Was it hard to wire the eswitch in, does the xylotex kit include a place to wire it in on the board? I know how to set it up in mach3 but was wondering.. what do you plan to make the eswitch do, just turn off the router and electronics or have it raise up to the home position? Is your router spindle going to be turned on manually every time or do you plan to hook it into the electronics? thanks!

The eswitch is not yet wired, but is easy to wire, it just connects to 2 of the connectors on the multifunction card as do the limit switches and the enable switch.

I beleive you can use the Xylotex board to connect it as the provide terminals on the card for the unused parallel port lines, but by doing everything through the multifunction card it gives you the benefit of optoisolation from the PC.

The E-stop will (and I believe should) just stop the router and electronics as I don't want the machine moving if I hit the estop in case I am hitting it because I am all caught up in the machine

My router will be hooked into the multifunction card which has a solid state relay built into it. You can see details of the card here http://www.cnc4pc.com/Multifunction_CNC_Board.htmhttp://www.cnc4pc.com/Multifunction_CNC_Board.htm

Thanks for the info David. I will do some research. I know I want an e-switch, it's a diy hobby machine, but it's still serious non-forgiving machinery. I like how you combined it in one tower, it's clean that way, less wires everywhere .. where did you get the e-switch/function buttons from? Thanks for your info, it's very helpful for my upcoming build of joes.

The E-Switch I ordered from IMService http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=60http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=60
    They use to have a large and small one (just different size button) but now just have the small one. I will probably order the small one and swap it with the one on the PC and put the large one on the router itself.

The on/off and enabble button I got from mouser.com (part number 611-DA102J4RS215QF7).

Nice controllor setup, I like the all in one case. is that a 24v PSU for the controllors?

I would also make sure the wireing is isolated to areas and shielded as not to get any interfierence from electronics.

Hi Joe, yes, if you the mean the one under the cdrom it's the one that came with my Xylotex kit.

Yes once I get everything in it's final place, I will try to keep the wiring as far away from interference sources as possible. Of course that is the risk of an all in one setup.

Worst case I have a separate box that I will just re-install the controller stuff into if I find I am having any interference issues.

Any recommendations on shielding?

Quote Originally Posted by David Da Costa View Post
    Hi Joe, yes, if you the mean the one under the cdrom it's the one that came with my Xylotex kit.

Yes once I get everything in it's final place, I will try to keep the wiring as far away from interference sources as possible. Of course that is the risk of an all in one setup.

Worst case I have a separate box that I will just re-install the controller stuff into if I find I am having any interference issues.

Any recommendations on shielding?
    just use shielded wireing, also lateron you may want to beef up the power supply. run it a while with the 24v and see how it performs, I use 36vdc with 200oz motors and works good. 80ipm is what i cut at mostly.

joe

joe did you buy the kit from xylotex or just the components?

bp092, I believe that Joe used HobbyCNC kit not Xylotex.

sorry I meant you lol, long day, long day of work and everything, minds in two different places

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    joe did you buy the kit from xylotex or just the components?
    none of the above, I got the HobbyCNC 3 axis kit, 36v 10a power supply, 200oz motors, and cuts at 80ipm with no problems, I have been running that kit for a year now.

joe

yeah I know, meant David, tired

I bought the Xylotex 3 axis ready kit http://www.xylotex.com/3AxisReadyKit.htm

Okay, here is todays update.

I have added to the right hand side of the case the motor cables and 3.5mm phono jacks for the limit switches. I have shown one of them with a limit switch phono plug connected (mock-up).

I need to add axis labels to the sockets next.

My next task is to add the sockets for the router into the case with connections going to the SSR on the multifuntion card.

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Computer 2 (1).jpg   Computer 1 (1).jpg  

One final photo of the sockets with label added. The label was made on Rowmark plastic using Vectric Vcarve on my IMService CNC Router.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Computer.jpg  

It looks good David. When is your kit coming? Can't wait to watch you build, I'm not that far behind, it's nice to get tips and hints ahead of time though . Where did you get the limit switches and cables from? I saw some decent ones on ebay but they looked kind of "cheap" and unreliable..

Page 2 of 47 123412