586,116 active members*
3,440 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 32 of 47 22303132333442
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz9075 View Post
    What does it mean to be unipolar verus bipolar?

Drag about my motors not be able to work I was hoping I could do the same thing to my setup.
    Here is good reading on stepper motors.

http://www.geckodrive.com/photos/Step_motor_basics.pdf

joe

Joe what micro stepping are you using on your board, do you have idle current reduction enabled?

I put the grommets back on and was not able to increase velocity any higher (80) but can run with accel at 10 although I am not sure whether I could have achieved this without the grommets. Joe I will be interested in what you find if you add them.

I also just ran my v-carve test file in air with just the z axis and it runs fantastically! The stepper just sings.

Does anyone have any recommendations for plugs and sockets for the stepper cables for my controller box. They need to be at least 6 pin.

Quote Originally Posted by David Da Costa View Post
    Joe what micro stepping are you using on your board, do you have idle current reduction enabled?

I put the grommets back on and was not able to increase velocity any higher (80) but can run with accel at 10 although I am not sure whether I could have achieved this without the grommets. Joe I will be interested in what you find if you add them.

I also just ran my v-carve test file in air with just the z axis and it runs fantastically! The stepper just sings.

Does anyone have any recommendations for plugs and sockets for the stepper cables for my controller box. They need to be at least 6 pin.
    I use 1/4 stepping, I do not have idle current option if i remember, i have had the board on my machine for a year so it is an older version.

Looking forward to a cut in wood.

Well I really can't tell. Is that crappy news for someone like me or a solution to a sticky situation david has been in? I guess when I get my power supply we shall see. Although, joe saw sparky's running and to me it looked like it was running well (well there was a stall or two). I'm glad your happy David, when can we expect you to cut some radius work and signs? Btw cool video, but for a novice cnc guy, to me the second part sounds quieter and cleaner, is that what you want or don't want? Thanks in advance for the pics, can't wait to test the stuff later this week. Just sanded and polished the rails for my big box and am assembling the rest in a few. They are smoooooth. Almost as smooth as the drill rod. (few nicks here and there though)

The second part is with the new HobbyCNC controller card that I built yesterday and yes that sound is absolutely what we want

thought so (edited my post) I saw it didn't sound right how I said it.. meant me as a novice unsure of the sound, not saying it's a novice machine, it's very involved if you ask me!

Joe I bought this power supply from ebay a few days ago http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160070214592
    originally for my Xylotex, but do you think I would be okay using it for the HobbyCNC? Ideally I would like 35v, but I can't find anything for a reasonable price that still give >12amps.

Why don't you just make one? It's easy and cheap.
    Steve
    DO SOMETHING, EVEN IF IT'S WRONG!

Okay Steve, what do I need?

a 35v 12 amp transformer, a capacitor of some size, not sure what, a bridge rectifier, fuses?.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I am not good with electronics.

Give me a parts list and a diagram and I can put it together

No, a 24V 10A transformer is all you need. Here's a link to a simple 32V 10A PS :

http://pminmo.com/simpleps.htmPS
    Steve
    DO SOMETHING, EVEN IF IT'S WRONG!

David/bp092/Joe,

Congratulations David!

I concur that Xylotex should get some feedback from your results. The fact that my build runs fine and yours did not (with Xylotex) yet now runs well with HobbyCNC, STRONGLY suggests you got bad stuff from Xylotex.

As I have posted before, remember that my setup is absolutely STOCK Xylotex (4 axis board) with 3 Xylotex supplied 425 motors and the Xylotex 24V/5 Amp power supply.

I can get 100 IPM at 15 acceleration. I have made about a dozen Vcarve sample cuts. Apart from some evidence of a little too much backlash in my Z axis, my kit is cooking. It sounds fine and smooth. It cuts well too.

I got distracted with family stuff (good and fun so it was welcome) this weekend so I am slowly working now on my clamping setup. I will post some picutures/video in a day or two.

So, for those who have purchased Xylotex gear and are not yet up and running, at least one Xylotex setup IS working now. I will count my blessings and await other results.

Look back in this thread to a reference to where I have posted a link to video (those were air cuts) showing 100 IPM with my build.

Regards,
    George

Thanks George.

I have sent Jeff an email and also a copy of the video for his review

Here is my controllor box i built over a year ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0861.JPG  

Joe I bought this power supply from ebay a few days ago http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160070214592
    originally for my Xylotex, but do you think I would be okay using it for the HobbyCNC? Ideally I would like 35v, but I can't find anything for a reasonable price that still give >12amps.

David that will work, but just lower power, slower speed and torque, 36v would be best, it has a pot on it and when you get it test it and turn up you usually can get 3-4v more from it, but another thing is turn it down all the way and see what the volts are and you can always use two of them and retail the amps.

Or maybe I will build one based on the Diagram that Steve suggested.

What size Cap and transformer do you have in your controller?

Or maybe I will build one based on the Diagram that Steve suggested.

What size Cap and transformer do you have in your controller?
    68,000uf Cap, 24v 10a trans 24vac x 1.414 = 34.5v min, but you usually get more because mine is just above 36vdc, the trans was just over 25vac

I remember seeing your controller earlier on it looks cool. This weekend I will figure that out, for now, it's ghetto wiring for testing and then when I'm sure stuff works I will build a nice little home for it.

Thanks Joe. What voltage should the Cap be? For example would this one be okay or should it be 24V

http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...6DY683F050DL2A

More dumb questions, I assume I need a 10 amp fuse between the AC live and the transformer (transformer is 24v 10amps) and a 2amp fuse between the motor and psu (motor current in unipolar is 2 amps) or should the fuses be slightly bigger then the amps drawn?

Do I need the diode in the diagram for EMF from the motor if the fuse blows. The diagram say for a bipolar motor but mine is wired unipolar. If I do need one, what size.

Thanks

david, we should have an online meet sometime, setup a simple java chat, call it question time and hammer joe all at once?.. lol I could arrange and host it, or setup some kind of usergroup website for joe's build outside of the zone, could help in that too

Page 32 of 47 22303132333442