I finally set up my tormach last week. but it seems it cant rapid up on the Z axis.

Its brand new out of the box, it has the auto oiler set up, when I jog upwards the stepper motor stalls and looses steps.

I turned the jog speed down to %50 with the manual override, but I ran my first program got right to the end and it tried to rapid up to clearence hight then down to feed high for the last little section but it lost about 15mm in steps, boom. rammed the tool straight into the job my new z 0 .. was about -13/-15 ..
(please tell me I didnt just fork out this much for a friction welder :idea

Look in to the manual and checked over all the trouble shooting.. checked the coupling atop of the ball screw. it was still nice and tight. so i had a look at the movement while it stalls. and sure enough its the stepper that is stalling. now in the book it says to check the gibs but are these not set at the factory?? the machine only has about 1 hour run time on it. !

can it be the motor at fault? a driver? the controller? (Its the tormach one) Anyone one else had the problem?

Thanks in advance