586,096 active members*
3,790 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > 2UVR Tree - Change Feed Belt

2UVR Tree - Change Feed Belt

Does anyone know how to change the spindle feed v-belt, what the belt size is, and where I can get one? It comes right off of the back pulley but it looks like the front shaft and pulley have to come off.

Thanks

Do you mean the "quill down feed belt" ( the little itty bitty belt on the left side, under the swing out cover? If yes I will give you a quick step by step and the belt # ( several suppliers)..

Adobe (old as dirt)

Yes - that's the one.

Thanks

Belt Number 3L-150 ( common small appliance belt)

You must lift the head off the ram a little less than the thickness of the belt.
    loosen the two mount bolts to the end of the studs ( one in front, one in the rear)

Make sure the spindle is all the way " up"

Pull the Head assembly up only as far as you need to push the belt over the front pully ( I use an engine hoist with soft straps )Don"t pry, that is cast Alum.

Lower the head and tighten the nuts, approx 20 ft lbs, no more or you can distort the alum.

You then have to push the top half ( spring loaded) of the rear drive pully up to install the belt.

Do not lift the head any more than you must ( I just stuff the belt in ) if you go too far, you have to remove a lot more to reload some of the spindle drive.
    That is PITA twice.

Call 3S at 414-570-9530 for a parts catalouge. Nice people, former Tree employees that bought all of the Tree repair parts when Tree shut down, they also do spindle repair. The parts breakdown will help with any repair issues, and they are very fair on prices.

Hope this help

Adobe (old as dirt)

Hi guys,
    Just a footnote to what Adobe has said. We've been there done that many times and one tip that may be of interest is - to do what you want, you don't need a hoist or any other thing to get the varidrive/gear housing up off the quill housing enough to change the belt - simply loosen the nuts as Adobe said then use the quill to push the upper unit up. Push it up and lock the quill lock to hold it there. This works on all of our machines, possibly later machines may be different.
    Hope this can be of help
    Best regards,
    Gary

How neat ! Never thought of that..that is much easier than straping up and raising with a engine hoist..Kinda feel bad also, as I converted my Tree to a 3 axis CNC ( all with ball screws ) and have a couple of new belts that I will never use..So if any member wants one, its free..will need like 6 a pack ( Bud only ) for USPO , just E mail and I will send. Glad you guys suggested the procedure..But jimbo, you should still get the parts manual from 3 S, it will help in future repairs..

Adobe (old as dirt )

Adobe (old as dirt )

I can't believe the quit response - THANKS. I'll try it as soon as I get a belt and let you know the results.

Using the info that you guys provided, I was able to change the belt in a matter of minutes - Thanks!

courious.. did you get the belt I sent ?

Adobe (old as dirt )

anyone know how to change the main drive belt on a 310?

I am going to try the quill trick for changing my little "utility" belt. It's in terrible shape on my 200R and so that's desperately needed in my case. But the larger issue for me is I need to remove my motor from my Tree 200R and I can't figure out how to safely do this. The main drive belt seems to hold things in place even after I remove the 4 exterior motor bolts.

Does anyone have an electronic copy of the parts or service manual for a 200R or 2UV? Or one similar to them?

Changing the main drive belt

hatch789,
    I am not quite sure what differences there are between your machine and a 2UVR or 2UVR-c head if any. Is it a vari-drive head? If it is the same then removing the main belt is not too difficult. First get the speed up to the top, this gets the belt deep into the driven pulley. Next without the machine running back down the speed knob to take the motor pulley's grip off the belt. Do not turn the spindle or the belt will squeeze out of the driven pulley. Remove the four bolts holding the motor, slide the motor toward the left (facing front of machine) then you should be able to tilt the motor to the left up and out.
    I hope this is clear, if not I will try to expand on my explanation. Also I do have the manual on PDF. If you PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. It is for a 2UVR-C so a lot of it may not help. If you can send me a picture of your machine.
    Good luck,
    Gary

My pics of the mill are at:

Tree Journeyman 200R Milling Machine Project Page 1

my e-mail is chris -=at=- oupower -=dot=- com

Thank you for the manual. It will help me is some other things I need to do. Do you know how to remove the nose from my spindle?

I see what looks like a set screw up inside of my spindle nose. Is that how I remove my spindle nose from my mill? I'm worried something is bent on my nose and I'd like to remove it to at least rule that out. -Anyone who knows how to remove the spindle nose please let me know.