586,121 active members*
3,729 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Noob here looking for some direction...

Hello! I am new to CNC and g-code in general my only experience is a 3d printer which I have absolutely loved so now I am looking onto other controlled motion fabrication methods. There are some geometries and materials I am looking to work with that I can't really get on my current 3d printer (an FDM style device) I am actually looking at a CNC metal lathe. I would like a small hobby level one to start off with, I am currently looking at a gunhead CNC lathe, but Ideally I would like an 18" and the resolution I am looking for is .01 mm.

So basically do you know of a place I can start looking for a hobby level CNC lathe? 14"-18", .1-.01mm resolution?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Noob here looking for some direction...

You have to give us something to work with. When you only specify one dimension (18") on a lathe, that usually means the swing. A lathe with an 18" swing is massive. I am assuming you mean the z axis length. I know of no hobby lathe that can hold anywhere near .01mm. At .1mm you will be required to be very careful in your design and cutting strategies on any hobby lathe. Be careful of buying something that claims "resolutions" of very small numbers. They are usually referring to the number of signals (from the controller) to the pitch of the screw which is turning. That means theoretically, you can tell the controller to move this small of amount. It does not mean that you can expect to move the machine that amount. Errors come from motors (~+-3%), screws (.1/300mm), bearings, screw mounts, table flatness, etc... A 3d printer mechanism has very little torque involved and usually small workpiece dimensions so a lot of these problems go away. What are you making? Have you looked into what lasers can cut? You can create large 3d pieces buy cutting flat slabs in 2d and then using adhesive to construct the 3d model.

Let me clarify... I am looking more about 7" swing 18" distance between centers with relatively low gap. Resolution is going to have to be pretty tight... I am gonna assume industrial lathes are pretty pricy, are there some DIY kits/instructions?

I have converted a Myford S7 to cnc and .01mm is possible with care. But if you want to buy a cnc lathe ready built of that size at a sensible price I think you will need to look at something used. I don't know where you are based but a Denford Orac would probably work well for you, around that size, and Denford machines are very well made though you might have to upgrade the electronics. I have a Novamill which is rather small but a beautiful machine. If you are going to convert a standard lathe, it takes some skill and care and almost certainly you'll need a lathe along the way!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHaine View Post
    I have converted a Myford S7 to cnc and .01mm is possible with care. But if you want to buy a cnc lathe ready built of that size at a sensible price I think you will need to look at something used. I don't know where you are based but a Denford Orac would probably work well for you, around that size, and Denford machines are very well made though you might have to upgrade the electronics. I have a Novamill which is rather small but a beautiful machine. If you are going to convert a standard lathe, it takes some skill and care and almost certainly you'll need a lathe along the way!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    .01 mm is 0.000393". Less than 4 tenths. I'd be willing to bet your bed isn't precise to within 4 tenths over half of it's length. I have 2 denford oracs right now I am converting to mach4 and I will be selling them with a no bs claim of .001". With a lot of care and expertise, these machines, including the Novaturn, can maintain .001". To run, at the beginning of the day, without an hour setup, will take you to .003 easily.