586,105 active members*
3,147 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Nitrogen top off

$400.00..........seems a bit steep/greedy. Getting ready to buy a new machine. This helps the decision process.

Re: Nitrogen top off

Seriously!

If you do it yourself it will be free! Should it ever be required and you don't wish to do it yourself (I have done it) then you would pay for a service call.

Perhaps a Hurco or Mori Seki something else would suit you better. I'm sure their service calls will be much less expensive.

M
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I was going to do it myself. But you know, you top off every couple of years. I thought it would have been break even as far as a bottle and a hose. On the high I was estimating $200.00.
    3 miles of travel = 95.00
    15 min of labor = 270.00
    I hate surprises. Next time its a Doosan.

Enough of my complaining. Just giving a heads up to those considering getting a bottle and a hose. Should have........

Y'all have a great weekend.

Is this a new machine? I thought they did away with the nitrogen counter balance years ago..

last time we had a tech in, he topped it off for free.

Yeah, did not think it would be that much. My neighbor has a bunch of them. I was going to get a hose and a tank and I could do his too. But this time I was in a hurry and figured it would be break even on materials vs. service. Boy was I wrong. The sad thing is it just seems so desperate when you have to start ripping off your customers. I have seen it before. South Bend Lathe comes to mind.

Cheers

Yes the counterbalance has been replaced with a brake motor system. Thankfully! As a service tech it was tough to know the cost of the nitrogen and sleep at night knowing what the customer got whacked. The latest mills and actually all Haas machines have seen many improvements in the last few years. The factory has implemented a reliability initiative and it has led to some very nice improvements.

Get a tank of nitrogen and do it yourself, be sure to have the z axis at top of travel. If no asks for top off's anymore I can get the tank off of my service van. I use it twice a year these days.

Don't lose any sleep HTMan. The customer (this customer) did not get whacked, they got educated. My local HFO just lost a sale on a new machine and future machines. If I come across a good deal on a used one, maybe. But no more new. Hope it was worth it. But maybe they are too big to mess with the little guys.