586,103 active members*
3,300 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tool Libraty

Tool Libraty

I would like to know how to put the tool library in numerical order?

You wouldnt think that something so simple could be so elusive..........
    I just want to re arrange the tools in the library so that they start with tool #1 and run consecutively, and I cant find a way to do that, there is probably something I am overlooking or missing, any help appreciated.

thanks
    mike sr

Re: Tool Libraty

What version of SC do you have?
    If it is SC7 then the only way I know is to open the tool library.csv file in Excel (csv = comma separated values). Depending on what version of Excel you have it will open an SC .csv file with one row for each tool and all the data in the first cell.
    Then you can Data Sort the worksheet using the first column as the key. Since the tool number is the first data in the cell, all the rows will be sorted on that value.
    The tool library.csv is located (at least in Windows7 and SC7) in C:\programdata\sprut technology\sprutcam\version 7\libraries.
    Good luck
    Bevin
    PS. Don't forget to make a copy of the existing library file and fiddle with that copy. When your satisfied, change the names to test it with SC.

Thank you Bevin for the info!
    I have been trying to do this for quite some time and havent figured it out yet. I will try the excel mod and see if it works, when I worked I had a 1995 copy and I may have a later one as well.
    I can use it as it is but it is a pain to find the tools when they arent consecutively numbered, I should have paid more attention to this from the beginning!

I have sprut 7 64105 the latest version

thanks again
    mike sr

Thanks Bevin - tool order has been driving me nuts too.

Mike - when you are in the tool dialog box for the parameters configuration of an operation (that's the one that gives you a list of all the available tools) you can double click on the ID column heading and that put the tool numbers in increasing or decreasing order.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Thanks Bevin - tool order has been driving me nuts too.

Mike - when you are in the tool dialog box for the parameters configuration of an operation (that's the one that gives you a list of all the available tools) you can double click on the ID column heading and that put the tool numbers in increasing or decreasing order.

Mike
    Thank You Mike!!
    I tried it and it worked! I have been futsing with that for a long time.

I tried Bevins suggestion, spent two hours on it in open office calc, and that didnt work, it didnt like something in the saved file. I have an excel 95 and 97 copy but I hadnt tried those yet as they arent on this computer.

Sprut 7 is a good program but the Russian programmers dont do things quite like we do thats for sure.................

PROBLEM SOLVED! Thanks Mike and Bevin

Edit: clicking on the dialog box will cause the files to be in acending or decending order, now to figure out how to save the new configuration, when its reloaded it reverts back to the way it was..
    mike sr

I use notepad to sort the tool library out simply by using cut and paste.

The milling tool library is not so bad to use in Sprutcam but the Lathe tool library is a total nightmare.

It can drive you absolutely crazy when you are trying to add a new tool to the library

I must apologise for giving bad advice about using Excel to sort the tool list into numerical order. It doesn't work.
    The reason is that each tool row has all the text in the first cell. Hence the rows will be sorted as text not numbers,as below:
    1;
    10;
    11;
    12;
    2;
    21;
    22;
    3;
    30;
    4; and so on.
    Sorry about that. It has been some years since I sorted my library and I now remember that Excel sort didn't work then so I used cut and paste.

In fact my testing tonight also reveals that editing the library in Excel also causes a problem if there is a " (symbol for inches) in the text. When SC opens the tool library, all tools that have that character will have the ID number as 0 zero. It seems that Excel sees that character as some form of special text delimiter and inserts another (hidden) at the front of the tool number. This confuses SC which defaults to 0.

So tkgb's advice to use Notepad appears to be the best.
    Bevin

Bevin,

Thanks for your efforts anyway, I would like to have it in numerical orderand be able to save it that way, but Mikes suggestion gets it correct while I am using the library, thats what really makes the situation easier.

My problem is that adding a new tool, I cant figure out what the next number should be easily as there are over 50 of them.

TKGB, thanks for your suggestion as well although I think in my case I will deal with it like it is.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    My problem is that adding a new tool, I cant figure out what the next number should be easily as there are over 50 of them.
    At the risk of telling you something you already know, you can easily add a new tool within SC. Start SC, Create a new operation (in Machining) by selecting Roughing --> Hole machining (this operation will list most of the tool types but not all; more info below). Enter the Geometric Parameters of the new tool, then change the Tool number to a number you think is correct. Press Add at the bottom of the window. If the number is already in use the SC will ask permission of overwrite.

As you can see, you can order the tools numerically the same way.... it just takes a little time. Also, using the same method you can group the tools into Types and order them by size.

If you want to do this, then first decide which Types you want them grouped into. But here is minor problem. On the Geometric Parameters page, SC matches the tool Types it will display to the Operation selected. For example, for 2D contouring, it will list all the mill types but not the Spot drill if it is Typed as a drill, So Type it as Conical Mill. SC displays drills and mills for Hole machining, so it will always be displayed there. To see what Types are displayed for each Operation, Create that Operation--> Tool Parameters page, then on the left just above the line drawing of the profile is a pulldown list of Types.

Once you decide the Types, assign a number block (allow for future additions), then edit each tool, but don't forget to Add each time.
    When you've done all that, I would save a renamed copy of the .csv file as a backup.

Yes a fiddle and yes SC lacks many little refinements we expect for a $1000 program, but I'm used to it now and SC7 satisfies my needs.
    Bevin

Quote Originally Posted by bevinp View Post
    At the risk of telling you something you already know, you can easily add a new tool within SC. Start SC, Create a new operation (in Machining) by selecting Roughing --> Hole machining (this operation will list most of the tool types but not all; more info below). Enter the Geometric Parameters of the new tool, then change the Tool number to a number you think is correct. Press Add at the bottom of the window. If the number is already in use the SC will ask permission of overwrite.

As you can see, you can order the tools numerically the same way.... it just takes a little time. Also, using the same method you can group the tools into Types and order them by size.

If you want to do this, then first decide which Types you want them grouped into. But here is minor problem. On the Geometric Parameters page, SC matches the tool Types it will display to the Operation selected. For example, for 2D contouring, it will list all the mill types but not the Spot drill if it is Typed as a drill, So Type it as Conical Mill. SC displays drills and mills for Hole machining, so it will always be displayed there. To see what Types are displayed for each Operation, Create that Operation--> Tool Parameters page, then on the left just above the line drawing of the profile is a pulldown list of Types.

Once you decide the Types, assign a number block (allow for future additions), then edit each tool, but don't forget to Add each time.
    When you've done all that, I would save a renamed copy of the .csv file as a backup.

Yes a fiddle and yes SC lacks many little refinements we expect for a $1000 program, but I'm used to it now and SC7 satisfies my needs.
    Bevin
    I think the way to straighten it out is to make a new tool table or to add tools in appropriate places to make them numerical, I wrote a couple programs this evening and it works fine as it is by using the double click method in the top line, I found the tools needed relatively easily that way.
    The bottom line is that I should have been more careful and given it more thought in the beginning!

Sprut 7 has done what I need as well, and I have learned about most of the bugs and can get thru them, I thought about upgrading but then I would have a whole new set of bugs to learn, so I dont think so ha!

edit: I even found that I have two number twelve tools (different tools same tool number)! How that happened I am not sure,I guess sprut goes by the line selected and not by the tool number.
    mike sr

This comment is based on observation when using sprut 8 and 9 and might not be exactly correct for others and mostly applies when table view is used for editing.

When editing or adding tools to table, tool numbers are just numbers and not a sort or storage order as you can see by having 10 tools with same number. Position looks to be the only control you have in this. Add tool to end of table it will be at end of table. Add to middle of table it will be in middle of table. Problem is you have little control over the actual saved structure or order. I try to control this by creating groups of numbers for a type of tool like 100-200 are drills bits, 350 - 400 are taps 401 to 450 are woodruff cutters and so on for each type or group of tools I want to see. A while back I set down with an enco and a few other tool catalogs and entered about 600 tools in a numbering system that starts at 0 and goes to 1300 with groups of 50 -100 numbers for each type of tool. This was saved as a master tool list and from it I create working lists for projects and actual tools I own. I have a few databases and also made a mess out of a couple as noted above, no big deal just make a new one.

I would also note that tool editing is one of the biggest problems I have with sprut and the main reason for creating a large list of tools. I figured a little hard work would get me past most the frustration when setting up cam ops and allow me to focus on that and not creating tools. Also I don't think this is any real bug or error in software and more like an open method to work with different work flows, machine tool changers, back office and entire factories of tools to manage not just one machine .
    md

I just like to eliminate variables when I can, too many means programming mistakes etc. for me.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys!
    mike sr