586,055 active members*
4,167 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Powermax 1650 questions

Hi there,

i'm quite new in this area. A friend of me has a cnc plasma cutting table and bought a hypertherm powermax 1650. The machine is not brand new. We have a issue that the torch will not fire up every time when started. You see a spark shortly and that's it. When you release the start button the air is still flowing, and stops after a minute or so. Or just press the Start button again and it stops. We replaced all internals and checked the Cableling. No direct result, does anyone have an idea?

Now we try to interface it with a external start and instal a height controller. The external start is what I've read just a dry contact activate contact. But this doesn't do anything. When you check the schematics, the external connector is not wired parallel onto the torch contacts. Do I miss something?

thanks for reply.

Re: Powermax 1650 questions

If the Powermax1650 does not fire every time it is generally an issue with consumables (nozzle, electrode, swirl ring or retaining cap could be worn or defective) and you will get some sort of error indication (LED error indicator) on the Powermax1650. Try replacing the consumables. Misfiring can occur from the retaining cap being overtightened....it should just be secure enough to hold the nozzle properly in place. Misfiring can occur from incorrect inlet air pressure or from cut pressure settings, refer to the operators manual fro proper setup procedure.

The postflow is normal, and varies between 20 and 30 seconds...the torch will refire anytime during the postflow of air.

If you are using a hand torch you cannot externally start the torch from the rear panel CPC connector for safety reasons. The hand torch is designed for hand cutting and is fired from the trigger switch. If you install a machine torch the torch external start can be accomplished from pins 3 and 4 on the rear panel CPC connector, instructions are in the operators manual.

Feel free to contact me at [email protected] with questions. You can also contact Hypertherm tech support.....we have an office in the Netherlands (Rosendahl) that will be happy to help with your questions.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by Gbinsb View Post
    Hi there,

i'm quite new in this area. A friend of me has a cnc plasma cutting table and bought a hypertherm powermax 1650. The machine is not brand new. We have a issue that the torch will not fire up every time when started. You see a spark shortly and that's it. When you release the start button the air is still flowing, and stops after a minute or so. Or just press the Start button again and it stops. We replaced all internals and checked the Cableling. No direct result, does anyone have an idea?

Now we try to interface it with a external start and instal a height controller. The external start is what I've read just a dry contact activate contact. But this doesn't do anything. When you check the schematics, the external connector is not wired parallel onto the torch contacts. Do I miss something?

thanks for reply.