586,103 active members*
3,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Cincinnati VMC General Questions

Cincinnati VMC General Questions

I recently purchased a '93 Cincinnati Sabre 1000 machining center, and I have been researching them (Cincinnati VMC's in general) and trying to educate myself on available options, different models, etc. I am curious about the Cincinnati lineup during the 90's, and wondered if anyone who has knowledge of their product line might help answer some of these questions. Mainly, I am curious about the different series and models of VMC's. In my search, I have found Sabres, Arrows, Lancers, and of course different sizes of each. In addition, mine is a model "ERH", and I've also seen "ERO"s and I think maybe one other. I am just wondering if the series were just different year models....like the Arrows replaced the Sabres, etc...or were they offered at the same time with different features? I initially assumed they were just produced in different years, but I have found a listing for an Arrow that is supposed to be a '93 which is when my Sabre was built....so I am curious. Also, what is the difference in an "ERH" and an "ERO"? Any other available models?

Just some questions I have been curious about, and I know there is a wealth of information on this forum. If someone has time to share their thoughts I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Jeff

Re: Cincinnati VMC General Questions

The Sabre started with the older 850MC control that was a "one board control" and the servos were Fanuc. The tool changer was air driven and would swing in. The Sabre was upgraded to a 850SX control for speed and a CT control was an option and Kollmorgan drives are used with the same swing in tool changer. The Arrow had an electric tool changer that moved straight in. You could buy a SIEMENS A2100 control or a FANUC control for this machine. The ARROW 2 had a newer faster A2100 or Fanuc control. As always there were crossovers of controls on different models. The ARROW fixed all of the things that were wrong with the SABRE tool changer and things evolved. The "ERH" vs "ERO" were mainly electronic/electrical hardware upgrades.

Mike CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Quote Originally Posted by meckardt55 View Post
    The Sabre started with the older 850MC control that was a "one board control" and the servos were Fanuc. The tool changer was air driven and would swing in. The Sabre was upgraded to a 850SX control for speed and a CT control was an option and Kollmorgan drives are used with the same swing in tool changer. The Arrow had an electric tool changer that moved straight in. You could buy a SIEMENS A2100 control or a FANUC control for this machine. The ARROW 2 had a newer faster A2100 or Fanuc control. As always there were crossovers of controls on different models. The ARROW fixed all of the things that were wrong with the SABRE tool changer and things evolved. The "ERH" vs "ERO" were mainly electronic/electrical hardware upgrades.

Mike CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services
    Thanks, Mike!!! Great information.

Quote Originally Posted by meckardt55 View Post

The Arrow 500 is also air driven basically if you are referring to the swing in of the ram? Also my Arrow and several others I have seen came equipped with the CT FNC control. Also from what I can tell the Sabre machines were considerably physically heavier, the Arrow 500 is a weldment for the most part and has entirely linear guideway movements I am not sure if the Sabres were the same or not. Either way I think it is a fine machine and I am quite happy with mine thus far. Good information here and Mechardt seems VERY knowledgeable about these machines. Peace

Pete